* gnus-topic and popmail access
@ 1996-01-07 22:06 d. hall
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: d. hall @ 1996-01-07 22:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

I've read the gnus-info for sgnus, and noticed the entry for popmail (it
seems rather... lacking in info).  like even though it said put po: or pop
in the nnmail-spool-file, i don't see where it can find the popserver
address or... or what to use for a password.

also is gnus-topic broken? or do i have to setup variables before i attempt
to use it?

d.
--
<<Let's dance.>>
				~from mortal kombat, the movie

* Re: gnus-topic and popmail access
@ 1996-01-08  1:58 ` Jason L Tibbitts III
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Jason L Tibbitts III @ 1996-01-08  1:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

dh> I've read the gnus-info for sgnus, and noticed the entry for popmail
dh> (it seems rather... lacking in info).

Gnus just calls (in most or all? cases) movemail to get the mail out of the
spool.  Movemail comes with emacs, but doesn't seem to be documented
anywhere.  From a comment in movemail.c (under as lib-scr/movemail.c in the
emacs source distribution):

/*
 * Modified January, 1986 by Michael R. Gretzinger (Project Athena)
 *
 * Added POP (Post Office Protocol) service.  When compiled -DPOP
 * movemail will accept input filename arguments of the form
 * "po:username".  This will cause movemail to open a connection to
 * a pop server running on $MAILHOST (environment variable).  Movemail
 * must be setuid to root in order to work with POP.

That's about it.  This really should be documented somewhere, if not in the
Gnus docs then at least in the emacs manual.

 - J<

* Re: gnus-topic and popmail access
@ 1996-01-08  2:46   ` d. hall
From: d. hall @ 1996-01-08  2:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

ð thus on Sun, 07 Jan 1996 19:58:04 -0600, Jason virtually scripted...

dh> I've read the gnus-info for sgnus, and noticed the entry for popmail
dh> (it seems rather... lacking in info).

Jason> Gnus just calls (in most or all? cases) movemail to get the mail out
Jason> of the spool.  Movemail comes with emacs, but doesn't seem to be
Jason> documented anywhere.  From a comment in movemail.c (under as
Jason> lib-scr/movemail.c in the emacs source distribution):

Jason> That's about it.  This really should be documented somewhere, if not
Jason> in the Gnus docs then at least in the emacs manual.

Ugh!  Well, one reason why I've always liked emacs was there was always
another way around it.  Just in case I haven't compiled movemail with
-DPOP, and I don't have it setuid root... but I do have access to
popclient, and know how to write a hook function.

At first I wrote a perl script called mailgrab to append the popspool to my
current spool, unfortunately it required that I keep the password located
in a perlscript (for ease and convience).  I looked at ange-ftp's elisp,
and I worked out a hook-function which is part of gnus-get-new-news-hook.
Now it works all fine and dandy... no in regards to my other question about
gnus-topic... public feature, or private bug? (on the next Geraldo...)

d.
--
<<If you'd been there, you would've run from that deer, too!>>
				~jaya ballard, task mage

* Re: gnus-topic and popmail access
@ 1996-01-08 14:02 ` Jack Vinson
From: Jack Vinson @ 1996-01-08 14:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

dh> also is gnus-topic broken? or do i have to setup variables before i attempt
dh> to use it?

Works just fine in Sgnus v0.26.  If you had been using it before, you might
want to remove topic variables in your .gnus (gnus-init-file).

Topics are now a minor mode of *Group* mode, and can be toggled by hitting
't' in the *Group* buffer.  If you want it on permanently do

(add-hook 'gnus-group-mode-hook 'gnus-topic-mode)

Once you've got topics running, you can create and move them with the T
keymap.  Do 'T C-h' to find out what all those keys do.  I believe all the
newsgroup movement commands will work on collections of newsgroups.

This is documented in the Info pages under Gnus/The Group Buffer/Group Topics.

--
Jack Vinson                                     Off www.cern.ch...
jvinson@cheux.ecs.umass.edu                     Through gopher.umn.edu

* Re: gnus-topic and popmail access
@ 1996-01-08 14:38 ` Kai Grossjohann
From: Kai Grossjohann @ 1996-01-08 14:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

  d> also is gnus-topic broken? or do i have to setup variables before
  d> i attempt to use it?

I used to think so, too, but you just follow the directions in the
info and everything works fine.  Follow them by the letter.

        kai
--
I like both kinds of music.

* Re: gnus-topic and popmail access
@ 1996-01-10 18:46   ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1996-01-10 18:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jason L Tibbitts III <tibbs@sina.hpc.uh.edu> writes:

>  * "po:username".  This will cause movemail to open a connection to
>  * a pop server running on $MAILHOST (environment variable).  Movemail
>  * must be setuid to root in order to work with POP.
>
> That's about it.  This really should be documented somewhere, if not in the
> Gnus docs then at least in the emacs manual.

I've now added something like this to the Gnus manual.

--
   Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen * larsi@ifi.uio.no
      (a red leaf that falls from the purple tree)

* Re: gnus-topic and popmail access
@ 1996-01-10 19:14   ` d. cord hall
From: d. cord hall @ 1996-01-10 19:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

* POP3 function, and user format functions
@ 1996-01-11 19:35     ` d. hall
From: d. hall @ 1996-01-11 19:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

the following function i wrote to bypass having to recompile movemail.

(require 'ange-ftp)

(defvar mail-pop-user nil)
(defvar mail-pop-pass nil)
(defvar mail-pop-host "pop")
(defvar mail-pop-spool-file nil)

(defun mail-pop-mail-retrieve ()
  (interactive)
  (let ((user-name (or mail-pop-user
			(user-login-name)))
	 (my-passwd (or mail-pop-pass
			(ange-ftp-read-passwd "Enter your password: ")))
	 (pop-server mail-pop-host)
	 (spool-file (or mail-pop-spool-file
			 (getenv "MAIL")
			 (concat rmail-spool-directory
				 (user-login-name)))))
    (save-excursion
      (generate-new-buffer "*popclient*")
      (call-process "popclient" nil "*popclient*" nil
		    "-3"
		    "-v"
		    "-u" user-name
		    "-p" my-passwd
		    "-o" spool-file
		    pop-server
		    ))))

Now, my other problem.  I emailed the backtrace via gnus-bug (which game a
further error that I had malformed sources in nnmail).

I have a personalized format function for gnus-summary-line-format, which
makes it look more like vm or rmail in display.

(setq gnus-summary-line-format		"%U%R%z%[%-16,16n%]: %uX %I`%s`\n")

(defun gnus-user-format-function-X (header) "\
Return a string like MMM DD LLLL from the header."

  (let* ((header-lines (mail-header-lines header))
	 (header-date (mail-header-date header))
	 (date-vector (timezone-parse-date header-date))
	 (date-mon (aref date-vector 1))
	 (date-day (aref date-vector 2))
	 (string-lines (if (> header-lines 9999)
			   "????"
			 (number-to-string header-lines)))
	 (string-mon (or (capitalize
			  (car (nth
				(1- (string-to-number date-mon))
				timezone-months-assoc)))
			 "???"))
	 (string-day (or date-day "??")))
    (format "%s %2s %4s" string-mon string-day string-lines)))

If I byte-compile this function w/o first loading Gnus, I get an error the
next time I attempt to run Gnus.  So I have the change the %uX to %d so
Gnus will load and run, and then re-byte-compile the function, and then
change the %d back to %uX and it runs just fine.  Unfortunately I didn't
save the backtrace, but Lars should be seeing a copy of it soon.  It has be
completely baffled.  Am I not loading a file before byte-compiling?  Or is
it another Emacs 19.30.1 bug?

d.
- --
<<I'm sorry Mr. President.  I don't dance.>>
				~ from clear and present danger