* NoCeM types
@ 1997-09-21 21:10 Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1997-09-21 21:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

What does the header that says what NoCeM "type" this is look like?
Eg. -- "troll", "spam", etc.  And how should the user specify that she
wants "everything but message type X" from despammer Y?

  larsi@ifi.uio.no * Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen

* Re: NoCeM types
@ 1997-09-22  2:49 ` Don Croyle
From: Don Croyle @ 1997-09-22  2:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@ifi.uio.no> writes:

> What does the header that says what NoCeM "type" this is look like?
> Eg. -- "troll", "spam", etc.  And how should the user specify that she
> wants "everything but message type X" from despammer Y?

@@BEGIN NCM HEADERS
Version: 0.9
Issuer: clewis@ferret.ocunix.on.ca
Type: troll
Action: hide
Count: 12
Notice-ID: troll.199709180430.03
@@BEGIN NCM BODY

The 'type' is pretty much an arbitrary string.  Standard ones are
'spam', 'spew', 'mmf' and 'binary'; beyond that you get into things
like 'troll', 'keyword-deficient', 'killfile', 'Content-Based',
'velveeta', etc.  It would probably be best to have the standard ones
used by default and let the user add the others as needed.
--
I've always wanted to be a dilettante, but I've never quite been ready
to make the commitment.

* Re: NoCeM types
@ 1997-09-22  4:01 ` Sudish Joseph
From: Sudish Joseph @ 1997-09-22  4:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen writes:
> how should the user specify that she wants "everything but message
> type X" from despammer Y?

Something like nnmail-split-fancy would work very nicely.  Ie., a
recursive structure with a regexp applied to the header-name portion
of the NoCeM header used as a selector.

-Sudish

* Re: NoCeM types
@ 1997-09-22 23:35   ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1997-09-22 23:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sudish Joseph <sj@eng.mindspring.net> writes:

> > how should the user specify that she wants "everything but message
> > type X" from despammer Y?
>
> Something like nnmail-split-fancy would work very nicely.  Ie., a
> recursive structure with a regexp applied to the header-name portion
> of the NoCeM header used as a selector.

It sounds like overkill to me.

I think the elements in `gnus-nocem-issuers' should be expanded to
include lists.  The first element in these lists is the despammer
name, and then would follow a list of type specs.

For instance:

("clewis@ferret.ocunix.on.ca" ".*" (not "troll"))

matches all types except "troll";

("clewis@ferret.ocunix.on.ca" (not ".*") "spew" "spam")

matches nothing but "spew" and "spam".  The specs are applied
left-to-right.

Whaddayouthink?

* Re: NoCeM types
@ 1997-09-23  2:29     ` Sudish Joseph
From: Sudish Joseph @ 1997-09-23  2:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen writes:
> ("clewis@ferret.ocunix.on.ca" ".*" (not "troll"))

> matches all types except "troll";

> ("clewis@ferret.ocunix.on.ca" (not ".*") "spew" "spam")

> matches nothing but "spew" and "spam".  The specs are applied
> left-to-right.

Works for me.  The advantage of the nnmail-split-fancy method over
this is that it allows for a compact representation over all headers
and not just the issuer.  For instance,

("type" "spam" ("issuer" "clewis")
               ("issuer" "fubar))

is somewhat clearer than writing two separate rules with the same type
selection.

Then again, most people probably wish to base it on the issuer.
Either one works for me.

-Sudish