From: Sudish Joseph <sj@eng.mindspring.net>
Subject: Re: nnmail-spool-file should be a list...
Date: 08 Apr 1997 20:13:33 -0400	[thread overview]

William M Perry writes:
>   Duh, it can be a list.  But I still need to hack the pop support to have
> some way to specify the host for pop retrieval.  Or am I overlooking
> something there as well.

I no longer use POP for retrieval, so take this with a cellar of
salt.  IMO, the best thing to do is to write a small shell wrapper for
movemail that does all the fetching from various sources and then cats
the lot into the file that GNUS specifies as the last arg.  You can
then use $MAILHOST[1] to select between servers.

You should also consider having that script not connect to your POP
servers every time gnus says it should, as Gnus used to do it way too
often.[2]  Writing a timestamp from the script would suffice, I
guess.

Finally, you could do what I did--give up on using pop through gnus
and run an external pop fetcher to put mail into a file that could be
added to nnmail-spool-file.  I used popclient from cron.  I believe
fetchmail is far and away the best pop client out there these days.[3]

-Sudish

Footnotes:
[1]  movemail respects this.  IMO, it's a pity that movemail's pop
support wasn't done with proper args.  "po:" is gross.

[2]  I last used movemail's pop support a year back, gnus might have
changed for the better in this regard since then.

[3]  It has a daemon mode, will speak SMTP to deliver if you run an
MTA, and has lots of other nifty gadgets.  In particular, it handles
multiple servers with different accounts/passwords cleanly.  Even has
a well-designed configfile format.  Hmm, it's also written by Eric
Raymond, so the widgets will only get snazzier and more plentiful with
time. :-)