* i would like to select one mail address at prompt when i hit `m' key in keyboard...
@ 2020-11-15  2:46 Byung-Hee HWANG
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Byung-Hee HWANG @ 2020-11-15  2:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Gnus

Hellow!

i am beginner at elisp. as far as i write-up below code.
===> references: emacs wiki [multiple smtp gnus]

#+begin_src emacs lisp
(setq user-full-name "Byung-Hee HWANG")
(setq sendmail-program "/usr/sbin/ssmtp")

(defun setHome ()
  (interactive)
  (message "from home -- soyeomul@doraji.xyz")
  (setq user-mail-address "soyeomul@doraji.xyz")
  (setq message-sendmail-extra-arguments '("-C" "/etc/ssmtp/ssmtp-yw.conf")))

(defun setWork ()
  (interactive)
  (message "from work -- soyeomul@gmail.com")
  (setq user-mail-address "soyeomul@gmail.com")
  (setq message-sendmail-extra-arguments '("-C" "/etc/ssmtp/ssmtp-gmail.conf")))

(add-hook 'message-mode-hook
	  '(lambda ()
	     (if (y-or-n-p "at home?")
		 (progn (setHome))
	       (progn (setWork)))))
#+end_src

at then, question...

how can i enable the above rule only when i hit `m' key?

i try to google and emacs manual etc... but failed..

Sincerely, Gnus fan Byung-Hee

--
^고맙습니다 _地平天成_ 감사합니다_^))//

* Solved problem (Was: Re: i would like to select one mail address at prompt when i hit `m' key in keyboard...)
@ 2020-11-16 10:43 ` 황병희
From: 황병희 @ 2020-11-16 10:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Gnus

Thanks!!!

Sincerely, Byung-Hee

--
^고맙습니다 _和合團結_ 감사합니다_^))//

* Re: i would like to select one mail address at prompt when i hit `m' key in keyboard...
@ 2020-11-16 15:41 ` Alberto Luaces
From: Alberto Luaces @ 2020-11-16 15:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Byung-Hee HWANG writes:

[...]

> (add-hook 'message-mode-hook
> 	  '(lambda ()
> 	     (if (y-or-n-p "at home?")
> 		 (progn (setHome))
> 	       (progn (setWork)))))
> #+end_src
>
> at then, question...
>
> how can i enable the above rule only when i hit `m' key?
>
> i try to google and emacs manual etc... but failed..

Hi, I guess you don't want a hook here, but to bind a keypress to your
function inside the hook.  Something along the lines of:

(add-hook 'message-mode-hook
	  '(local-set-key (kbd "M-m") '(lambda ()
	     (if (y-or-n-p "at home?")
		 (progn (setHome))
	       (progn (setWork))))))

I have binded to M-m instead of just "m", otherwise you couldn't type
the letter "m" in a message.

--
Alberto

* Re: i would like to select one mail address at prompt when i hit `m' key in keyboard...
@ 2020-11-16 16:06 ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2020-11-16 16:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Byung-Hee,

I use gnus posting styles for this and gnus-alias-use-identity to switch
identities.  Not quite what you wanted, as it's not tied to the m key
but is instead something you do once you are in the message buffer, but
it does work well.

--
Eric S Fraga via Emacs 28.0.50 & org 9.4 on Debian bullseye/sid

* Re: i would like to select one mail address at prompt when i hit `m' key in keyboard...
@ 2020-11-17  2:08   ` 황병희
From: 황병희 @ 2020-11-17  2:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> Byung-Hee,
>
> I use gnus posting styles for this and gnus-alias-use-identity to switch
> identities.  Not quite what you wanted, as it's not tied to the m key
> but is instead something you do once you are in the message buffer, but
> it does work well.

Hmm.. interesting about gnus-alias-use-identity. I will study it
gnus-alias-use-identity. Because i love the word "identity".

Sincerely, Byung-Hee

--
^고맙습니다 _地平天成_ 감사합니다_^))//

* Re: i would like to select one mail address at prompt when i hit `m' key in keyboard...
@ 2020-11-17  2:52     ` Bob Newell
From: Bob Newell @ 2020-11-17  2:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

gnus-alias-use-identity takes a little setting up (not too
much though) but is much more flexible. I probably have 20
contexts set up and in the end it makes switching among them
very easy. For instance, sometimes I want to be a clueless AOL
user, sometimes I want to be an alum of my undergrad
university, and sometimes I even just want to be myself.

Take the time to set up gnus-alias-identity list to suit your
needs and wishes, and when you're comfortable with that go to
the next level with gnus-alias-identity-rules, which allows for
some automated identity selection. For instance certain
"friends" always get mail from my netzero identity; if someone
writes to a deprecated address they weill get a reply from my
preferred identity.

--
Bob Newell
Honolulu, Hawai`i

- Via GNU/Linux/Emacs/Gnus/BBDB

* Re: i would like to select one mail address at prompt when i hit `m' key in keyboard...
@ 2020-11-17  3:00   ` 황병희
From: 황병희 @ 2020-11-17  3:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Alberto Luaces <aluaces@udc.es> writes:

> Byung-Hee HWANG writes:
>
> [...]
>

>> (add-hook 'message-mode-hook
>> 	  '(lambda ()
>> 	     (if (y-or-n-p "at home?")
>> 		 (progn (setHome))
>> 	       (progn (setWork)))))
>> #+end_src
>>
>> at then, question...
>>
>> how can i enable the above rule only when i hit `m' key?
>>
>> i try to google and emacs manual etc... but failed..
>
> Hi, I guess you don't want a hook here, but to bind a keypress to your
> function inside the hook.  Something along the lines of:
>
> (add-hook 'message-mode-hook
> 	  '(local-set-key (kbd "M-m") '(lambda ()
> 	     (if (y-or-n-p "at home?")
> 		 (progn (setHome))
> 	       (progn (setWork))))))
>
> I have binded to M-m instead of just "m", otherwise you couldn't type
> the letter "m" in a message.

Thanks Alberto, i will study about local-set-key, thanks again^^^

Sincerely, Byung-Hee

--
^고맙습니다 _地平天成_ 감사합니다_^))//

* Re: i would like to select one mail address at prompt when i hit `m' key in keyboard...
@ 2020-11-17  3:09       ` 황병희
From: 황병희 @ 2020-11-17  3:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Bob Newell <bobnewell@bobnewell.net> writes:

> gnus-alias-use-identity takes a little setting up (not too
> much though) but is much more flexible. I probably have 20
> contexts set up and in the end it makes switching among them
> very easy. For instance, sometimes I want to be a clueless AOL
> user, sometimes I want to be an alum of my undergrad
> university, and sometimes I even just want to be myself.
>
> Take the time to set up gnus-alias-identity list to suit your
> needs and wishes, and when you're comfortable with that go to
> the next level with gnus-alias-identity-rules, which allows for
> some automated identity selection. For instance certain
> "friends" always get mail from my netzero identity; if someone
> writes to a deprecated address they weill get a reply from my
> preferred identity.

Thanks Bob, your story is my story thanks again ^^^

Sincerely, Byung-Hee

--
^고맙습니다 _地平天成_ 감사합니다_^))//

* Re: i would like to select one mail address at prompt when i hit `m' key in keyboard...
@ 2020-11-17  7:14       ` Vegard Vesterheim
From: Vegard Vesterheim @ 2020-11-17  7:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bob Newell; +Cc: ding

On Mon, 16 Nov 2020 16:52:12 -1000 Bob Newell <bobnewell@bobnewell.net> wrote:

> Take the time to set up gnus-alias-identity list to suit your
> needs and wishes, and when you're comfortable with that go to
> the next level with gnus-alias-identity-rules, which allows for
> some automated identity selection. For instance certain
> "friends" always get mail from my netzero identity; if someone
> writes to a deprecated address they weill get a reply from my
> preferred identity.

Additionally, here is a function to cycle through the gnus-alias
identities:

https://github.com/vv3/gnus-alias/commit/986f3a1732362357162a8450a2250069baf02dce

This can be bound to a key for quick access.

--
Vennlig hilsen/Best regards
Vegard Vesterheim

* Re: i would like to select one mail address at prompt when i hit `m' key in keyboard...
@ 2020-11-17 16:34         ` Bob Newell
From: Bob Newell @ 2020-11-17 16:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Vegard Vesterheim <vegard.vesterheim@uninett.no> writes:

> Additionally, here is a function to cycle through the gnus-alias
> identities:
>
> https://github.com/vv3/gnus-alias/commit/986f3a1732362357162a8450a2250069baf02dce
>
> This can be bound to a key for quick access.

I didn't know about this one, that's a great feature.

gnus-alias-identity also works well with helm, so there are
plenty of options and once set up, very good ease of use.

--

@ 2020-11-30 23:31   ` David Rogers
From: David Rogers @ 2020-11-30 23:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric S Fraga; +Cc: ding

> Byung-Hee,
>
> I use gnus posting styles for this and gnus-alias-use-identity
> to switch
> identities.  Not quite what you wanted, as it's not tied to the
> m key
> but is instead something you do once you are in the message
> buffer, but
> it does work well.

I decided to try gnus-alias-use-identity based on this
recommendation, and I have it in place and functioning. But I’m
running into a small but irritating problem that seems likely to
be related.

I’ve set From to be my address and done the other default
settings, nothing interesting there as far as I know, plus I’ve
added a Gcc header that points to the Sent Mail on my IMAP server.
(That same Gcc header has been working fine in the past, and in
fact it is still working.) But now, every time I send an email,
I see a message complaining that the function
"nnnil-request-create-group" doesn’t exist, and the status line
claims that the message is still unsent. However, in every case
the message HAS been sent, including showing up correctly in the
Sent Mail on the server. If I delete the buffer containing the
so-called unsent message, then all the expected copies are already
in the right place.

I don’t know where the request for nnnil-request-create-group is
coming from, and I don’t know how to discover that. My guess is
that I have some outdated and/or incorrect setting that conflicts
with gnus-alias-use-identity - does anyone here have experience or
suggestions?

Do I need to de-duplicate settings that are currently duplicated
between posting styles and gnus-alias-use-identity? Or will
overlapping settings just be harmlessly re-applied?

--
David Rogers