* .mailrc alias won't auto-expand anymore
@ 2020-12-13 23:37 Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2020-12-13 23:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

I used to be able to just put an alias in a header, and not
have it expand, and send, and that would work. Now it asks

  Email address jag looks invalid; send anyway? (y or n)

but when I expand it it works, of course.

Don't know if this is by design but I just thought I'd tell you
about it.

:)

PS. BTW, I can never remember, should one use
    gmane.emacs.gnus.general or gmane.emacs.gnus.user?
    "general" has 85 937 posts and "user" only 19 359, so
    general is more popular it seems :)

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573

* Re: .mailrc alias won't auto-expand anymore
@ 2020-12-14  2:43 ` Pankaj Jangid
From: Pankaj Jangid @ 2020-12-14  2:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Emanuel Berg <moasenwood@zoho.eu> writes:

> PS. BTW, I can never remember, should one use
>     gmane.emacs.gnus.general or gmane.emacs.gnus.user?
>     "general" has 85 937 posts and "user" only 19 359, so
>     general is more popular it seems :)

Both have a different mailing list address. I have subscribed to
both. As long as there are no posts, it won’t appear in the group
buffer. :-)

* Re: .mailrc alias won't auto-expand anymore
@ 2020-12-14  2:56   ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2020-12-14  2:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Pankaj Jangid wrote:

>> PS. BTW, I can never remember, should one use
>>     gmane.emacs.gnus.general or gmane.emacs.gnus.user?
>>     "general" has 85 937 posts and "user" only 19 359, so
>>     general is more popular it seems :)
>
> Both have a different mailing list address. I have subscribed
> to both. As long as there are no posts, it won’t appear in
> the group buffer. :-)

Yeah but mean I thought there were like policies what to write
to each one...

--

@ 2020-12-14 10:50 ` 황병희
From: 황병희 @ 2020-12-14 10:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Gnus

Emanuel Berg <moasenwood@zoho.eu> writes:

> I used to be able to just put an alias in a header, and not
> have it expand, and send, and that would work. Now it asks
>
>   Email address jag looks invalid; send anyway? (y or n)
>
> but when I expand it it works, of course.

welll i have no problem with ~/.mailrc file. just ping comment.

#+begin_src text (~/.mailrc)
alias ding "The Gnus <ding@gnus.org>"
#+end_src

Sincerely, Gnus fan Byung-Hee

--
^고맙습니다 _白衣從軍_ 감사합니다_^))//

* Re: .mailrc alias won't auto-expand anymore
@ 2020-12-14 13:31   ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2020-12-14 13:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Byung-Hee wrote:

> well I have no problem with ~/.mailrc file.

Me neither, with the file :)

> alias ding "The Gnus <ding@gnus.org>"

Yeah, did you try put ding in the To: header like this

To: ding

then, without expanding it, send the message? And it works?

--

@ 2020-12-14 13:44     ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2020-12-14 13:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Monday, 14 Dec 2020 at 14:31, Emanuel Berg wrote:
> Yeah, did you try put ding in the To: header like this
> To: ding
> then, without expanding it, send the message? And it works?

I don't think that has ever worked?

All you need to do is type a space (or a "," if adding other recipients)
after ding, however, and it should expand.  Does for me.

--
Eric S Fraga via Emacs 28.0.50 & org 9.4 on Debian bullseye/sid

* Re: .mailrc alias won't auto-expand anymore
@ 2020-12-14 13:51       ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2020-12-14 13:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Eric S Fraga wrote:

>> Yeah, did you try put ding in the To: header like this To:
>> ding then, without expanding it, send the message?
>> And it works?
>
> I don't think that has ever worked?
>
> All you need to do is type a space (or a "," if adding other
> recipients) after ding, however, and it should expand.
> Does for me.

Yes. World's biggest problem, right? :)

No, it worked for me, but maybe I configured something and
broke it, or something happened with the update of Emacs.

OK, that seems to be a "it is not you, it is me" situation...
forget about it :)

--

@ 2020-12-14 15:01         ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2020-12-14 15:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Monday, 14 Dec 2020 at 14:51, Emanuel Berg wrote:
> No, it worked for me,

Interesting.  I'm actually glad it doesn't work for me as otherwise I
would have sent the wrong email to the wrong person in some (many)
cases... having the expansion happen in front of me before composing is
quite important for me!

It'll be interesting to see what you might have configured to allow
expansion after asking to send the email.  Good luck finding it!
(something about "twisty little passages" comes to mind ;-))
--

@ 2020-12-15  2:11     ` 황병희
From: 황병희 @ 2020-12-15  2:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Gnus

> To: ding
>
> then, without expanding it, send the message? And it works?

always i did expand it. sorry for silly comments^^^

Sincerely, Gnus fan Byung-Hee

--
^고맙습니다 _救濟蒼生_ 감사합니다_^))//

* Re: .mailrc alias won't auto-expand anymore
@ 2020-12-15  2:25       ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2020-12-15  2:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Byung-Hee wrote:

> always i did expand it. sorry for silly comments^^^

Now they autoexpand when I move point from the field!
So I can't even try it anymore. 2nd change in a short while
without me doing anything. OK, so the problem isn't Gnus, it
isn't my config, it is my mind. Well, good that we found out.

Byung-Hee, silly comments for a silly issue. Let's keep it at
that :)