* Getting new mail with nnml
@ 1995-11-05  0:25 Sean Lynch
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Sean Lynch @ 1995-11-05  0:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

When I'm in the middle of a September 0.12 session, if I receive new
mail, and I type "2g" to get my new mail (all my mail groups are at
level 2 or below), it all ends up in an mbox in my home directory
rather than being put into the appropriate nnml groups.  However, if I
respool articles from other groups, they get split up properly.

Anyone have any insight on this one?

Here's the segment of my .emacs that controls my gnus configuration:

(setq gnus-auto-select-first nil)
(setq gnus-use-adaptive-scoring t)
(setq gnus-mail-forward-method 'gnus-mail-forward-using-vm)
(setq gnus-mail-other-window-method 'gnus-mail-other-window-using-vm)
(setq gnus-mail-reply-method 'gnus-mail-reply-using-vm)
(setq gnus-group-line-format "%2L%S%M%5y:%(%g%)\n")
(setq gnus-group-sort-function 'gnus-group-sort-by-level)
(setq gnus-local-organization "Netcom Online Communication Services, Inc.")
(setq gnus-secondary-select-methods '((nnml "")))
(setq nnmail-split-methods 'nnmail-split-fancy)
(setq nnmail-split-fancy
  '(| (& ("to" "seanl@netcom\\.com" "personal.misc")
      ("to" "support-staff" "support-staff.misc")
      ("to" "operations-dept"
        (| ("subject" "NETWORK INCIDENT REPORT"
              "operations-dept.network-incident")
            "operations-dept.misc"))
      ("to" "netcom-all" "netcom-all.misc")
      (any "ding@ifi\\.uio\\.no" "ding.list")
      ("from" "liaison"
        (| ("subject" "liaison" "liaison.report")
          "liaison.misc"))
      ("from" "anon\\.penet\\.fi"
        (| ("from" "daemon" "anon.daemon")
          "anon.misc")))
    "misc.misc"))

* Re: Getting new mail with nnml
@ 1995-11-05  1:41 ` Steven L. Baur
From: Steven L. Baur @ 1995-11-05  1:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

    Sean> When I'm in the middle of a September 0.12 session, if I
    Sean> receive new mail, and I type "2g" to get my new mail (all my
    Sean> mail groups are at level 2 or below), it all ends up in an
    Sean> mbox in my home directory rather than being put into the
    Sean> appropriate nnml groups.  However, if I respool articles
    Sean> from other groups, they get split up properly.

    Sean> Anyone have any insight on this one?

If this is what I think it is, it's not sgnus specific, the problem is
also with Gnus 5.0 too.

The code paths taken during 1) Gnus startup, 2) a batch fetch new mail
and 3) fetch new mail for specific group are all different.

First off, I use procmail splitting where each nnml: folder gets fed
by a file named ~/spool/nnml-folder-name.spool.

A current problem with splitting mail exists if you have nnml folders
with names including "."s, and gnus-use-long-file-name is t.  You can
make some of the bad behavior go away by eliminating the (nasty)
routine in nnmail which converts strings with dots in them to strings
with slashes in them (paths 1 & 3 work, 2 does not).

Another problem which manifests itself similarly is Gnus will bogusly
match a shorter nnml folder name to a spool file (in case 2 above) but
get it correct for cases 1 & 3.  Eg.  I have a nnml folder named
gnus-list which is intended to have messages inserted *manually only*
to it.  I have another nnml folder dgnus-list which is intended to be
filled by mail split by procmail from ~/spool/dgnus-list.spool.  When
I do M-2 g all of the dgnus-list.spool gets put into nnml:gnus-list.

Therefore, for my configuration, case 2 (M-2 g) is badly broken, and
I've stopped using it.

--
steve@miranova.com baur

* Re: Getting new mail with nnml
@ 1995-11-05  3:43   ` Steven L. Baur
From: Steven L. Baur @ 1995-11-05  3:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Let me rephrase that ...

I just wrote:
>Another problem which manifests itself similarly is Gnus will bogusly
>match a shorter nnml folder name to a spool file (in case 2 above) but
>get it correct for cases 1 & 3.  Eg.  I have a nnml folder named
 ^^^ ^^ ^^^^^^^ ^^^ ^^^^^ ^   ^
(Initial startup, and one group at a time).

>gnus-list which is intended to have messages inserted *manually only*
>to it.  I have another nnml folder dgnus-list which is intended to be
>filled by mail split by procmail from ~/spool/dgnus-list.spool.  When
>I do M-2 g all of the dgnus-list.spool gets put into nnml:gnus-list.

This is only true with Gnus 5.0.  Sgnus does not handle *any* batch
mail splitting correctly (with my settings).

--
steve@miranova.com baur

* Re: Getting new mail with nnml
@ 1995-11-06 13:33 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1995-11-06 13:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

nc0273@netcom.com (Sean Lynch) writes:

> When I'm in the middle of a September 0.12 session, if I receive new
> mail, and I type "2g" to get my new mail (all my mail groups are at
> level 2 or below), it all ends up in an mbox in my home directory
> rather than being put into the appropriate nnml groups.  However, if I
> respool articles from other groups, they get split up properly.

My guess is that you have an nnmbox group somewhere, and that you
haven't set `nnmbox-get-new-mail' to nil, which is something you
should do with all mail backends that you don't want to snarf mail.

--
Home is where the cat is.

* Re: Getting new mail with nnml
@ 1995-11-07 18:46 ` Sean Lynch
From: Sean Lynch @ 1995-11-07 18:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

In my case, it turns out that each time a new mail group would appear,
it would be subscribed at level 3.  Whenever sgnus reached a mail that
was destined for a group that was below level 2, it would croak, and
leave everything in the intermediate mbox file.

Is there any way to make it skip any messages destined for groups
below the level for which I am getting new messages?  It could leave
those messages in the mbox file.  Or perhaps there would be a
"cleaner" or more elegant way to handle this case.

--Sean