From: nc0273@experience.corp.netcom.com (Sean Lynch)
Subject: Re: new feature for Red - adaptive scoring
Date: 26 Jan 1996 14:10:27 -0800	[thread overview]

I would use the following function:

(setq score (- score (* (sign score) (min score (max
          gnus-score-decay-constant (* (abs score)
            gnus-score-decay-scale))))))

Let's say gnus-score-decay-scale is set to 0.05 and
gnus-score-decay-constant is 3, this should cause the following:

Scores between -3 and 3 will be set to 0 when this function is called.

Scores with magnitudes between 3 and 60 will be shrunk by 3.

Scores with magnutudes greater than 60 will be shrunk by 5% of the
score.

This would make the score decay work very similarly to the way living
systems learn.  We could even make this an exponential function of the
time since the last time it was called on a given score.

We need to make sure, though, that this function is called a definite
number of times, so that we can define its behavior.

"This function sets all scores to 0 within five minutes of starting Gnus."

Perhaps it should be related to the number of articles that come
through that are affected by a given score.  This way, when a thread
dies, all scores related to it die more quickly.

Just a thought.