* compressed nnml files?
@ 1995-12-07 19:52 Colin Rafferty
From: Colin Rafferty @ 1995-12-07 19:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi-

I love nnml.  I do not want to change back to mbox/babyl.  With that
said, here is my problem and what I would like:

I have some nnml mail groups that should not be auto-expirable, are
active, and are large.  There are hundreds of messages, and some of them
can be huge.

I would like to be able to compress old articles and still be able to
read them normally.  August Gnus does not play well with crypt++.  I
imagine that September Gnus has the same problems.

Is there something that I can do to handle this?  If not, is there
something that someone else can do?

This could be very useful for the mailing list archive, as it would end
up taking up less space wherever it is, and would reduce the time of
sending articles through ange-ftp.

-Colin

* Re: compressed nnml files?
@ 1995-12-08  8:10 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1995-12-08  8:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

craffert@sps.ml.com (Colin Rafferty) writes:

> I would like to be able to compress old articles and still be able to
> read them normally.  August Gnus does not play well with crypt++.  I
> imagine that September Gnus has the same problems.

Yes.  It's on the todo list, but the reason I haven't done anything
about it is that I don't use crypt++, so it hasn't really been a
problem for me.  :-)  I'll probably start using it soonish, so this
might also start working sometime in the future...

--
Home is where the cat is.

* Re: compressed nnml files?
@ 1995-12-08 19:31 ` Stainless Steel Rat
From: Stainless Steel Rat @ 1995-12-08 19:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

--
Rat <ratinox@ccs.neu.edu>          \ Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.
PGP Public Key: Ask for one today!  \

* Re: compressed nnml files?
@ 1995-12-10 15:16   ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1995-12-10 15:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Stainless Steel Rat <ratinox@ccs.neu.edu> writes:

> The best complete solution, as I see it, is to build a regular
> expression from jka-compr-compression-info-list, then modify any code
> that references file name in a buffer to include that regexp.  In short,
> it's going to be a pain no matter what.

I've played a bit with nnml, and making it jka-comprehensible wasn't
that difficult.  It does feel a bit kludgy, though, so I'm not doing
the same with the other backends right away.

The real pain comes when trying to do
`(insert-file-contents (int-to-string article))', when we really want
article with ".gz" (or whatever) appended...  sigh...

--
Home is where the cat is.

* Re: compressed nnml files?
@ 1995-12-11 15:24   ` Colin Rafferty
From: Colin Rafferty @ 1995-12-11 15:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Stainless Steel Rat

Stainless Steel Rat writes:

CR> I would like to be able to compress old articles and still be able
CR> to read them normally.  August Gnus does not play well with crypt++.
CR> I imagine that September Gnus has the same problems.

> crypt++ is not a good choice for transparent, on-the-fly compression;
> for that I recomend jka-compr which is also distributed with Emacs now.
> But that alone won't work because nnml.el won't operate correctly on the
> compressed files.  For that a little bit of hacking in nnml.el is in
> order:

Actually, I think that crypt++ is better because it also gives you the
ability to have encrypted mail messages as well.  Since it recognizes
compressed/encrypted files by contents (which works very well with mail
files), you can leave the files named the same (as numbers).

In fact, I could see adding a command gnus-summary-encrypt-article.

Here is my solution for my own problem (in my .gnus).  It handles
reading mail, just editing and then saving a compressed/encrypted file:

(require 'nnmail)
(defun nnmail-find-file (file)
  "Insert FILE in server buffer safely."
  (set-buffer nntp-server-buffer)
  (erase-buffer)
  (condition-case ()
      (progn
	(if (fboundp 'crypt-insert-file-contents)
	    (let ((crypt-auto-decode-insert t))
	      (crypt-insert-file-contents file))
	  (insert-file-contents file))
	     t)
    (file-error nil)))

; -Colin

* Re: compressed nnml files?
@ 1995-12-11 16:02     ` Stainless Steel Rat
From: Stainless Steel Rat @ 1995-12-11 16:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

--
Rat <ratinox@ccs.neu.edu>          \ Do not use Happy Fun Ball on concrete.

@ 1995-12-29  2:54     ` Greg Stark
From: Greg Stark @ 1995-12-29  2:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hmm, ideally it would be nice if it was possible to access nnml files from
within a tar file with tar-mode.el ...
Date: Sat, 6 Jan 96 22:12:10 -0500
From: Mail Delivery Subsystem <MAILER-DAEMON@MIT.EDU>
Subject: Returned mail: Unable to deliver mail
To: gsstark@MIT.EDU

554 gsstark... Bad format for qf command: ding (ding

Date: Sat, 6 Jan 96 23:01:46 -0500
From: Mail Delivery Subsystem <MAILER-DAEMON@MIT.EDU>
To: gsstark@MIT.EDU

554 gsstark... Bad format for qf command: ding (ding

From: ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ <name-witheld@MIT.EDU>

Obviously the best it can do is some kind of heuristic, but it seems like Gnus
should be able to tell at least sometimes that it's not looking at the
author's name.  I would need to see a few more examples before I even had a
decent suggestion for what the heuristic should be.

--
greg

* Re: compressed nnml files?
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1996-01-10 18:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Greg Stark <gsstark@MIT.EDU> writes:

> Hmm, ideally it would be nice if it was possible to access nnml files from
> within a tar file with tar-mode.el ...

Well, I see one thing that would make it not-totally-trivial to just
insert something tar-mody between nnml and the files, and that is that
one can't add new files to tar-mode "directories".  But just reading
would be ok.

I don't know what would be cleanest -- add a new backend (nntar?),
or just make nnml tar-enabled?  If I were to add a new backend, it
would probably work as a frontend for all the other backends, so you
could have tar nnmh, nnfolder (etc) groups.  But they would all be
read-only, wouldn't they?

Do we need this?

--
   Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen * larsi@ifi.uio.no
      (a red leaf that falls from the purple tree)

* Re: compressed nnml files?
@ 1996-01-12  8:59         ` Kai Grossjohann
From: Kai Grossjohann @ 1996-01-12  8:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

  Greg> Hmm, ideally it would be nice if it was possible to access
  Greg> nnml files from within a tar file with tar-mode.el ...

  Lars> Do we need this?

I think we don't.  You can use nnfolder for this, I think, which is
already a single file.

        kai
--
I like both kinds of music.

* Re: compressed nnml files?
@ 1996-01-12 16:12         ` Joe Hildebrand
From: Joe Hildebrand @ 1996-01-12 16:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Greg Stark <gsstark@MIT.EDU> writes:

   Greg> Hmm, ideally it would be nice if it was possible to access
   Greg> nnml files from within a tar file with tar-mode.el ...

> "Lars" == Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@ifi.uio.no> writes:

   Lars> Do we need this?

No.  Instead of tarring your nnml files together, make them into a
digest.  I think there is a script at http://www.fuentez.com/ding to
do that.  Poof.  Best of all possible worlds.  Less inodes, compressed
file (at least in 0.27...), no new code for Lars, convenient interface
(once digests start working again).

--
Joe Hildebrand                  Fuentez Systems Concepts
hildjj@fuentez.com              11781 Lee-Jackson Hwy, Suite 700

* Re: compressed nnml files?
@ 1996-01-13 20:59           ` Aharon (Al) Schkolnik
From: Aharon (Al) Schkolnik @ 1996-01-13 20:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

	http://www.fuentez.com/ding  moved to
	http://www.fuentez.com/public-info/ding/ding.html

--
  The day is short, and the work is great,     |   Aharon Schkolnik
  and the laborers are lazy, and the reward    |   Aharon@Matat.Health.Gov.IL

* Re: compressed nnml files?
@ 1996-01-16 17:50             ` Joe Hildebrand
From: Joe Hildebrand @ 1996-01-16 17:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

> "Aharon" == Aharon (Al) Schkolnik <aharon@osfstats.health.gov.il> writes:

   Aharon> http://www.fuentez.com/ding moved to
   Aharon> http://www.fuentez.com/public-info/ding/ding.html

oops.  Sorry about that.  The other webmasters moved things around.
There is now a symlink, so either should work.

--

@ 1995-12-08 18:11 Colin Rafferty