* ANNOUNCE: nndb 0.2
@ 1996-03-24  1:39 Joe Hildebrand
From: Joe Hildebrand @ 1996-03-24  1:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

This is a real beta of nndb, rather than the pre-beta I released the
other day.  It includes much more robust handling of error conditions
(such as the server being down), by using a maildir-style delivery
mechanism.  I am now using it as my main delivery agent.  Although
mail loss is still possible, it is far less probable, now.

There is still no documentation.

The perl delivery agent is gone, but there is a configure
script for the C delivery agent; I've successfully compiled it on
SunOS, Solaris, and HP-UX.  Procmail-style ^TO expansions are now
implemented.

Get the new version from:

<URL:ftp://ftp.fuentez.com/pub/nndb-0.2.tar.gz>

--
Joe Hildebrand                  Fuentez Systems Concepts
hildjj@fuentez.com              Lead Software Engineer

* Re: ANNOUNCE: nndb 0.2
@ 1996-03-24  2:22 ` Thomas Neumann
From: Thomas Neumann @ 1996-03-24  2:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

That nndb stuff looks interesting. What´s the best way to define a
mail group that accesses the nndb server on port 9000 ?

-t

* Re: ANNOUNCE: nndb 0.2
@ 1996-03-25 16:20   ` Joe Hildebrand
From: Joe Hildebrand @ 1996-03-25 16:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

> "Thomas" == Thomas Neumann <tom@smart.ruhr.de> writes:

   Thomas> That nndb stuff looks interesting. What4s the best way to
   Thomas> define a mail group that accesses the nndb server on port
   Thomas> 9000 ?

"G m", group name, nntp, server.

wait for the timeout.

"G e", then change the line like:

(nntp "arls2007")

(nntp "arls2007"
      (nntp-port-number 9000))

It looks like if you do this for one group, all subsequent groups will
work without modification.

I think there has to be an easier way, too.  Lars?

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1996-03-26  3:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Joe Hildebrand <hildjj@fuentez.com> writes:

> "G m", group name, nntp, server.
>
> wait for the timeout.
>
> "G e", then change the line like:
>
> (nntp "arls2007")

> (nntp "arls2007"
>       (nntp-port-number 9000))
>
> It looks like if you do this for one group, all subsequent groups will
> work without modification.
>
> I think there has to be an easier way, too.  Lars?

Go to the server buffer:  `^'.  `a nntp RET db RET' to add a new
server.  `e' to edit it to:

 (nntp "db"
	(nntp-address "whatever")
        (nntp-port-number 9000))

Now when you `G m' a group, you can name "db" as the select method,
and everything should work fine.

* Re: ANNOUNCE: nndb 0.2
@ 1996-03-27 23:23       ` Thomas Neumann
From: Thomas Neumann @ 1996-03-27 23:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

 > Joe Hildebrand <hildjj@fuentez.com> writes:
 >
 > > "G m", group name, nntp, server.
 > >
 > > wait for the timeout.
 > >
 > > "G e", then change the line like:
 > >
 > > (nntp "arls2007")

 > > (nntp "arls2007"
 > >       (nntp-port-number 9000))

This works, though it's ugly.

Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen writes:
 > Go to the server buffer:  `^'.  `a nntp RET db RET' to add a new
 > server.  `e' to edit it to:
 >
 >  (nntp "db"
 > 	(nntp-address "whatever")
 >         (nntp-port-number 9000))
 >
 > Now when you `G m' a group, you can name "db" as the select method,
 > and everything should work fine.

Smart move. That's what I came up with, too, but it does not
work. I can create and edit a server as you describe above, but
when I try to create a new group (G m) and try to specify `db' as it's
select method, I get an Emacs error "Cannot open loadfile: db". I
tried to specify "db" literally -- including the doublequotes -- but
GNUS won't even let me.

This is with sgnus-0.59 on Emacs 19.30.

-t

* Re: ANNOUNCE: nndb 0.2
@ 1996-03-28  0:40         ` Dave Blacka
From: Dave Blacka @ 1996-03-28  0:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

 Thomas> Smart move. That's what I came up with, too, but it does not
 Thomas> work. I can create and edit a server as you describe above, but
 Thomas> when I try to create a new group (G m) and try to specify `db' as it's
 Thomas> select method, I get an Emacs error "Cannot open loadfile: db". I
 Thomas> tried to specify "db" literally -- including the doublequotes -- but
 Thomas> GNUS won't even let me.

Instead of specifing "db" as the method, specify "nntp" as the method
and "db" as the address.  You will then get a group prepended with
"nntp+db:".  I believe this is what Lars meant.

Dave
--
David Blacka                    |dblacka@fuentez.com
Software Engineer               |Fuentez Systems Concepts

* Re: ANNOUNCE: nndb 0.2
@ 1996-03-28  4:04         ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1996-03-28  4:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thomas Neumann <tom@smart.ruhr.de> writes:

>  > Now when you `G m' a group, you can name "db" as the select method,
>  > and everything should work fine.
>
> Smart move. That's what I came up with, too, but it does not
> work. I can create and edit a server as you describe above, but
> when I try to create a new group (G m) and try to specify `db' as it's
> select method, I get an Emacs error "Cannot open loadfile: db". I
> tried to specify "db" literally -- including the doublequotes -- but
> GNUS won't even let me.

Whoops.  Fix in 0.60.

  larsi@ifi.uio.no * Lars Ingebrigtsen

* Re: ANNOUNCE: nndb 0.2
@ 1996-03-28 12:09           ` Thomas Neumann
From: Thomas Neumann @ 1996-03-28 12:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Dave Blacka writes:

 > Instead of specifing "db" as the method, specify "nntp" as the method
 > and "db" as the address.  You will then get a group prepended with
 > "nntp+db:".  I believe this is what Lars meant.

I don't think so, and reality proves me right, as your proposed
solution does not work. Using your method GNUS tries to contact a nntp
server on a host named "db", which is unlikely to be
successful. Besides, the sgnus documentation states (in Node "Servers
and Methods")

"Servers and Methods

Wherever you would normally use a select method
(eg. `gnus-secondary-select-method', in the group select method, when
browsing a foreign server) you can use a virtual server name instead.
This could potentially save lots of typing.  And it's nice all over.
"

I read this as "a virtual server name can replace a select method",
and I dare to say that exactly this does not work in current versions
of sgnus.

-t