* dealing with "bad" mail...
@ 1996-03-22  1:04 Dave Blacka
From: Dave Blacka @ 1996-03-22  1:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

It seems that certain versions of sendmail (I'm not sure which ones,
though) send bounce/notification messages (you know, the stuff sent
from "MAILER_DAEMON@yadda.com") with bad envelopes:

>From   Thu  Thu Mar 21 16:28:40 1996

is an example of a bad envelope from sendmail.

Gnus (I'm running sgnus .54, but I remember this happening on 5.0.x)
totally freaks out when it encounters this kind of mail, claiming that
it is an unknown mail format (which, technically, I suppose it is),
and that it might be corrupted.  What usually happens is that I'm
splitting a spool file, and, bam, sgnus stops the whole delivery
process, saving the bad message in .gnus-crash-box, which I have to
fix (or delete) if I ever want to start Gnus again.

Since this seems to be a standard (mis)feature of sendmail, perhaps
Gnus could be a bit more liberal in how it reads the envelope line?

Right now, I've got a rather wacky workaround which sends (most) of
these messages through formail to strip and re-add the envelope.  It
would be sort of nice to not have to do this.

Dave

--
David Blacka                    |dblacka@fuentez.com
Software Engineer               |Fuentez Systems Concepts