Hey, thanks all for weighing in on this. I got it working, it turns out pyenv, an environment manager for Python, was shadowing the Python version. tdsr is more or less exactly what I was looking for, which is to read the output of commands and review by line, word, and character. Thanks for developing it, Tyler. (And it works well with Edbrowse.) Have a good day, everyone. Patrick On Fri, Sep 9, 2022, at 6:22 PM, Patrick Smyth wrote: > Hi Tyler, > > Seems I already have it installed: > > python3-speechd is already the newest version (0.9.1-4) > > Could it be some kind of path issue? I'm not sure how to get the > python3 on my system to recognize the bindings. > > > Best, > Patrick > > > > > Tyler Spivey writes: > > > Try installing the python3-speechd package. > > > > On 9/9/2022 11:25 AM, Patrick Smyth wrote: > >> Hi all, > >> Apologies if this is a basic or trivial question, but I wanted > >> to ask > >> about setting up screen readers for the command line on Linux. > >> I am using Linux Mint (functionally Ubuntu LTS), and while I > >> can use Orca to > >> read X11 terminals, it's quite slow and annoying to use, and > >> I'd prefer something specific to the terminal. I'm also pretty > >> happy with speakup > >> when I drop out of the graphical interface, so not looking for > >> anything there. > >> I've tried a couple command-line specific screen readers, and > >> I've had a > >> lot of trouble getting them to work. The two I've tried > >> recently are tdsr (https://github.com/tspivey/tdsr) and fenrir > >> (https://github.com/chrys87/fenrir). Setting aside Fenrir, > >> since the setup is a lot more involved, when I run tdsr I get > >> the following error > >> ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'speechd' > >> I have speech dispatcher installed with aptitude (apt-get > >> install > >> speech-dispatcher). I downloaded the speech dispatcher project > >> from GitHub and tried importing the Python API, but it gives me > >> a circular > >> import issue. Here's the speech dispatcher repo on GitHub, > >> there's a clients folder with a Python library: > >> https://github.com/brailcom/speechd > >> If people have gotten speech dispatcher for Python or the tdsr > >> screen > >> reader working, I'd appreciate any guidance. If people are more > >> familiar with fenrir, I can try to articulate where I'm stuck > >> with that, but it's > >> significantly more involved as a setup process. And apologies > >> if edbrowse isn't the place for this kind of question, though > >> it seems > >> fairly likely some of us are using CLI screen readers in this > >> community. > >> Thanks, and hope you have a good end of the week! > >> > >> Best, > >> Patrick > >> > >> > >> > >