From: Adam Thompson <arthompson1990@gmail.com>
To: Karl Dahlke <eklhad@comcast.net>
Cc: Edbrowse-dev@lists.the-brannons.com
Subject: Re: [Edbrowse-dev] html unicode translations in edbrowse
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2013 12:20:28 +0000	[thread overview]

On Wed, Dec 18, 2013 at 01:45:11PM -0500, Karl Dahlke wrote:
> > I use speakup with espeak which seems to handle most things,
>
> As I understand it it works well with 8859-1,
> which covers many western languages,
> but that would not include the high unicodes,
> so yes that would leave you out in the cold regarding
> alpha beta gamma and my other math symbols.

Yeah, testing by echoing utf8 in bash,
it totally fails to handle the alpha symbol.  It looks like it can't understand multi-byte codes and thus just interprets each byte.
> And I do appreciate this feedback; that's why I posted.
Thanks.

> On the other side, edbrowse renders these according to my taste,
> and in english, hard coded,
> so some of my French edbrowse users may not be thrilled with the word alpha.
> Who knows how that sounds on a french synthesizer.

Not sure, but I don't imagine it's particularly useful.

> So there's no clear right answere here;
> maybe we'll just leave edbrowse be for a while until we have
> a clear plan, or maybe a switch to turn these on or off.

The switch is a good idea, or some sort of auto-substitution list, kind of like you're doing with jupiter but in edbrowse?
This'd possibly generalise nicely if it can be added as I'm forever having to
run substitutions on pdfs and text files to fix things like this.
I'm not sure how that'd fit in the current design though.
Either that or ship an example unutf8 function in the example.ebrc.

This, combined with the ability to have a function run when a document is loaded (i.e. from a file or html, but not when creating a new buffer) would handle the current case as well as many more substitutions.
However this is turning into another feature request which probably needs more
thought.

Cheers,
Adam.