From: Karl Dahlke <eklhad@comcast.net>
To: Edbrowse-dev@lists.the-brannons.com
Subject: [Edbrowse-dev]  Edbrowse 3.5.1 unable to activate submit button
Date: Sun, 09 Feb 2014 12:19:51 -0500	[thread overview]

Well this is some of the dom stuff that I want to fix up and enhance.
The troublesome line in startpage.com is here.

<input type='image' src='/graphics/stp_search.gif' id='submit' style='width:35px;height:34px;'/>

It has an ID set to submit.
I remember this confusion from ten years ago, what does that really mean?
It means I put this tag with label submit in the ID array, and that's all ok,
but it also meant, for some websites at that time,
that the tag was also suppose to be linked to the form,
which is named blah in this case, under the name submit.
I do this, and it displaces the function submit, which you are trying to call.
The submit function is lost.
It is possible that I shouldn't be doing this at all,
or I shouldn't be doing it any more, perhaps it is deprecated.
I remember at one time there were websites that needed this behavior,
but here is one that cannot tolerate this behavior.
I could probably turn it off by commenting out one line of code,
jsdom.cpp line 1234

JS_DefineProperty(cw->jss->jcx, owner_root, idname, vv,
NULL, NULL, attr);

But should I?
I will say that this small change allows startpage submit button
to work again, although I then receive a message from them
about blocking my isp due to high usage, so I don't know what that means.

So short term, I might comment out that line of code,
and hope it fixes more websites than it breaks -
and long term, I need to understand the complete dom model,
all its functions, its side effects, its interactions.
And it has plenty of side effects.
Defining an input field in a form automatically puts links
here and there and adds this to that array and puts this in the id master list
and so on.
So there's plenty of work here, perhaps more
in the understanding of the model than in its actual implementation.

Karl Dahlke