From: Karl Dahlke <eklhad@comcast.net>
To: Edbrowse-dev@lists.the-brannons.com
Subject: [Edbrowse-dev] wiki
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2014 10:03:37 -0400	[thread overview]

I submitted my edbrowse article to wikipedia,
with my wife's help getting past the captcha.
I then pulled it down to view, and there at the top was a big note saying
"This article has been marked for speedy deletion by our automatic filter."
Really?
I clicked a few links, fortunately wiki is a very edbrowse-friendly site,
and found out why.
In 2010 someone posted an article about edbrowse.
I had no knowledge of this.
I could not find the article, or even who posted it.
Any idea who it was?
I did however find the discussion log of why it was deleted.
The article itself was fine, but edbrowse was consider
a personal project, and not "noteworthy".
And they were right.
It existed only on sourcefoge and was not being distributed by anybody.

The assumption, by their software,
is that the conditions are as they were in 2010,
and I'm just reposting it to be stubborn,
and so it is marked for speedy deletion by the administrators.

I found the place where I could make a comment and request that it
not be deleted, speedily or otherwise.
I pointed out that during those 4 years it had gone beyond a personal project
and was now part of many distributions, including the references
that would validate my claim.
Soon thereafter the notice of deletion disappeared, leaving only the article,
looking just like the one I last posted on this list,
that we all agreed to.
In other words, I think we were successful.
It is there.
Course it could be deleted next week for some other reason,
but for now it is there.

1. Should I reference it in my users guide?

2. Should I include some of its paragraphs in my users guide?
It is perhaps a better introduction than anything I have in usersguide.html.

3. Should I include the raw markup of the article in the doc directory?
That would show people how to write wiki articles, if they wish,
but it also runs the risk of becoming out of date
as anyone on the planet can edit and change my edbrowse article on wikipedia.

4. At the end of the users guide, talking about various command line utilities,
should I add a section about my experience posting the article,
and how to interact with wikipedia, and it's markup language etc?
Or is that such a rare thing to do that it's not worth talking about.

Karl Dahlke