On Sat, Jun 21, 2014 at 02:43:31AM -0700, Kevin Carhart wrote: > Wow, compiling the mozjs-24 has way more to it than in the past. I'm > finally trying to do this. Lots of weird errors so far. Has anyone had > difficulties with the python requirements? What do they need all of this > python for? Oh well.. I guess I was spoiled by using old versions for a > long time. I've not had difficulties with the python stuff but then I've only compiled on Debian unstable, so with access to very new Python. I've got no idea what they need the Python for, configuration etc I guess. It's a very strange build process though. > If I want to try out things like parentNodes and attachEvent(), is 3.5.1 the > earliest version where these are found? In other words, I have to go to > mozjs-24 to get these js features? Or could I decouple these two things, > give edbrowse a slightly older js but still be able to use the latest > edbrowse? Not unless you fancy undoing almost all the new js work I think. If you do this you may be able to salvage some of the work, but there've been some important implementation changes to work better with the gc and the design of the js 24 api. > I'm on a 32-bit CentOS. I haven't been able to find mozjs-24 in package > form, either from yum or hunting around the rpm search engines so I have to > compile. I don't really know how out of date I am. Is 32-bit still OK or > is it very ill-advised? ... if you happen to know. As Chris says, 32 bit is still absolutely fine. How old is your CentOS installation? As far as I know CentOS tends to have very old (but supposedly stable) software, with the intent being that it's ran on servers where stability is more important than having the latest versions of everything. This *may* explain some of the Python issues, though without the error messages it's difficult to say for sure. Cheers, Adam.