From: Karl Dahlke <eklhad@comcast.net>
To: Edbrowse-dev@lists.the-brannons.com
Subject: [Edbrowse-dev] Tasks
Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2014 13:42:26 -0500	[thread overview]

> though perhaps we want to be careful with duplicated efort.

Right, specialy since there's only three of us.
Would you like to look at v8?
So far none of us has a hello world program working.
There is one in src, that I got straight from google,
but it doesn't compile.

make js_hello_v8

> I'd really like to get a proper DOM independant of js,
> then plug js into such a DOM.

Yes, yes, and yes.
I'm hoping that ebjs.c holds the api that will make this possible.
That was reason enough to move js into its own process,
though there are other advantages as well.
So ... are the prototypes in eb.p, from sourcefile ebjs.c,
enough to build a dom on top of?
If not then what else do we need?

> As for how much do we need to implement;
> if we want to have a browser that functions properly on the internet in a few
> years then all of it.

Yes I suppose so.
It doesn't scare me, I just wish we had more resources,
like maybe an NFS grant to pay us to do it.

> tracking through js is important,

I tried in particular to track through the js in the jquery library,
to see whether edbrowse is a mile away or ten thousand miles away
from supporting it, but I got rather overwhelmed.
It's still sitting in my to-do directory.

> make the callback given to curl support both operations,

Well of course. That's obviously a better design. Thank you.
I just put the data in memory or on disk,
according to some variables.

> Yeah, I'm wondering if we want to make that string file more c++ anyway

Anything that becomes common to edbrowse and edbrowse-js has to be C,
because edbrowse is entirely in C.
But making it common might not be worth the bother.
The routines are different in subtle ways.
The edbrowse copy calls setError() and such to report error conditions to the user,
but in edbrowse-js those errors aren't as likely, and would be treated another way,
so it will probably be 400 lines of code that look similar in 2 places,
but aren't identical enough to put in common.

Karl Dahlke