On Sun, Dec 07, 2014 at 06:02:43PM -0500, Karl Dahlke wrote: > > Ok, that sounds like a good idea, though the js process's going to have to have > > some sort of threading if we want to do ajax etc. > > right, but perhaps threading could come later, on the next increment. > I'm thinking of pulling js to its own process, > with an interprocess communication protocol, > between edbrowse and js proc, > that I would present here, first, for review, > but all having the same functionality as today. > Then of course we enhance it, and consider other engines, and such. Ok, would this be launched from edbrowse via fork (thus making another edbrowse process) or be a totally separate js engine with a DOM perhaps? > > I'd also like to separate out downloading from the network somehow such that a > > large download doesn't block the entire program. > > I think this is lots of work for little gain. > Remember, everything asynchronous is a potential nightmare. > I can download a 300 mb file and it just doesn't take very long. > I think those features were developed when people were on dial-up connections. > Really by the time I switch to another session to try to do something else, > the file would already be downloaded. > Maybe I'm spoiled by a good connection; but that's how it seems to me. > And speeds will only increase. Perhaps, but I've often found myself wishing edbrowse could download in the background (and straight to disk) particularly when trying to download 1 gb + isos and the like. Sometimes, like when downloading audiobooks (which sometimes come as large zip files) you can't use something like wget because there's a js-driven bit of logic which bounces your browser to the correct page, and boom, I'm left with a blocked web browser downloading a file which I've got no idea how big it is (if I forgot to look at the page) and my machine's fairly resource limited by modern standards (only 1 gb of ram). Anyway, may be that's just me, and is certainly a topic for a different thread, but I don't think asynchronous downloads is an out dated feature, particularly as files will get larger as internet speeds, amounts of ram and disk space all increase. Cheers, Adam.