On Sun, Dec 28, 2014 at 08:03:09PM -0500, Karl Dahlke wrote: > By using wordexp, Adam suggests > > > "posix shell" or words to that effect and then it becomes fairly clear > > Clear? Really? To you and me maybe. Bash does so many crazy things > at the shell ... arithmetic, regexp substitution, > and tries to interpret so many characters as something, > I really don't want to go there. > I should be able to call up a file called $phones/at&t > without having to think about it. Ok, a couple of things: wordexp is posix *not* bash. There's an important difference in that it doesn't do as many crazy substitutions as bash does. Also we can switch off the command substitution feature which makes things a little simpler. In addition, we need to standardise the escape character I think if we use glob as otherwise we're going to have ` for some things and \ for others, that's just a mess. If you really want to keep your hand-rolled env var expansion, then we definitely need the ${var} syntax, and probably the \ as escape character to work with the glob call. Cheers, Adam.