From: Adam Thompson <arthompson1990@gmail.com>
To: Karl Dahlke <eklhad@comcast.net>
Cc: Edbrowse-dev@lists.the-brannons.com
Subject: Re: [Edbrowse-dev] glob
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2014 23:26:30 +0000	[thread overview]

On Mon, Dec 29, 2014 at 01:22:29PM -0500, Karl Dahlke wrote:
> I might turn my head around again on this, in that,
> I didn't want to think, or be confused,
> wondering why I can't read
> $phones/at&t
> that was my quick example,
> but I couldn't type that in at the shell and expect it to work either.
> There's something to be said for consistency,
> even if it's not the best standard, it's a standard.

Agreed it's annoying to have to shell escape stuff (particularly some of the
file names I get sent by my Windows using friends),
but at least it's a standard, and I suspect most (all?)
edbrowse users are also command line users.
It'd also be nice to make readline's tab completion produce suitable file
names for this as otherwise that'll get really iritating (at least for
people like me who use readline and tab completion a lot).

> My ` escape, I think you're confusing it with the individual excape character,
> which it is not, that would still be the backslash.
> Rather, ` at the very beginning of a filename
> means don't interpret anything in that filename, don't glob,
> just leave it be.
> I think we may still want that feature, as distinct from \ escape individual characters.

Yeah, I got confused by that. Personally I'd prefer a toggle command,
but I agree we definitely need a way to turn off this feature for really...
interesting... file names.

Cheers,
Adam.