On Mon, Jan 05, 2015 at 09:19:26PM -0500, Karl Dahlke wrote: > A possible compromise for download of large files to disk is: > > space pulls into memory like now. > default file name or entered file name downloads to disk > with progress dots in foreground. > file name with & at the end downloads in background, no dots, > for those who want it and for when it works. > Like the shell, command & > & by itself downloads default filename in background. I'm not sure about this. I've been thinking about the possibility of having a different command to download in the background rather than a download prompt like we currently have. For example (I'm using 2 letter commands because I think they're a bit clearer than capitalised versions of existing commands) something like: g - downloads the link normally into memory gd - downloads the link in the foreground to disk (optionally followed by a filename) gb - same as gd but in the background This isn't perfect since it doesn't handle if you end up with a file when you're not expecting it, but this shouldn't happen, and you can always hit ^c and try again anyway. This way we avoid forking mid-download and all the weirdness involved in that. Any thoughts? Cheers, Adam.