* [Edbrowse-dev] &
@ 2015-01-06  2:19 Karl Dahlke
From: Karl Dahlke @ 2015-01-06  2:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Edbrowse-dev

A possible compromise for download of large files to disk is:

space pulls into memory like now.
default file name or entered file name downloads to disk
with progress dots in foreground.
file name with & at the end downloads in background, no dots,
for those who want it and for when it works.
Like the shell, command &
& by itself downloads default filename in background.

Karl Dahlke

* [Edbrowse-dev]   &
@ 2015-01-06 22:27 Karl Dahlke
From: Karl Dahlke @ 2015-01-06 22:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Edbrowse-dev

> I've been thinking about the possibility of having a different command

I would really rather not clutter the space with more commands.
We already have too many as it is.
And more will come if we work on imap.

Besides this, I don't always know what I want until I am there.
Particularly when traversing an ftp file system
or clicking on a link.
Is it the actual download, or is it another html page
that is full of legal crap that I have to agree to?
I just can't know in advance what to do.
On an ftp link I hit g for go and if it turns out to be a directory I want to
see that page, download into memory.
If it turns out to be a file I want to be presented with the file name,
which can be very long, but relevant, with version numbers in it
and the proper suffix for compression and archive type etc,
so I want it to offer me that file name and I just hit return if I like it,
and don't have to type it all in again perfectly,
and retain the option of typing in something else,
but I don't usually know what I want until I am presented with the file name.
And maybe another optional character like & if I want to differentiate between
foreground download and background download,
which I really think is a good idea, the more I think about it,
to give people the options.
It's only one more character to type to put it it in the background.

I know you don't use mail client but this is consistent with how mail works,
so people will be use to that.
When you get mail it prints the default name of the attachment, which once
again could be long, with version numbers and suffixes etc,
and could be important, where you wouldn't want to type it all in again,
so you just hit return and accept it, or type in a new file name
for the attachment if you want to.
I want to make this download feature the same way,
having a common interface.

Karl Dahlke

* [Edbrowse-dev]    &
@ 2015-01-07  8:49 Karl Dahlke
From: Karl Dahlke @ 2015-01-07  8:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Edbrowse-dev

> I'm trying to avoid having to fork mid-download and all the issues that causes.

Right. I'm going to let Chris have a look and see what he thinks.
May well be that we just stop the download, set some flags, fork the child,
and restart the download there.
For as rare as this is, I wouldn't have a problem with that.

Karl Dahlke

* [Edbrowse-dev] ?
@ 2015-08-31  1:10 Kevin Carhart
From: Kevin Carhart @ 2015-08-31  1:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Edbrowse-dev

Here's something:
I couldn't tell when I had a message with extra lines with just
a literal question mark, since I mistook it for an edbrowse ?

Kevin

* [Edbrowse-dev] ==
@ 2018-01-27  5:20 Kevin Carhart
From: Kevin Carhart @ 2018-01-27  5:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Edbrowse-dev

> A time (to illustrate) when we want == and not === is startwindow.js
line 1156.

Thanks for this, by the way.  That's helpful to know.