On Sat, Apr 18, 2015 at 09:45:59AM -0400, Karl Dahlke wrote: > > I think I'd rather clean up the error message and remove the checking tbh, > > I see where you're coming from. > These are behaviors, and even error messages, that have been this way for years, > and I'm ok with improving them, I just think I need to move carefully. I'm not so sure careful movement is so required here. The only thing we may break is scripts, and I doubt anyone was a fan of the "shell pattern did not match any files" message in any case. At least this way the message (and code) would be consistant and explanitory. > another message that isn't so great is > > environment variable not defined > > So if you edit $a$b and get this message, > is it a or be that is not defined? > Really, would it have been terribly hard for me > to include the variable in the error message? > Sometimes I wonder what I was thinking 5 or 10 years ago. I think everyone has these moments when looking at old code. I'd like to see this message improved to include the variable though. Cheers, Adam.