* [Edbrowse-dev] autogenerate sample .ebrc
@ 2015-09-27  7:51 Karl Dahlke
From: Karl Dahlke @ 2015-09-27  7:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Edbrowse-dev

Geoff has programmed edbrowse to generate a sample .ebrc file if it finds none,
and advices the user to personalize it when he gets a chance.
This is just on the windows port, but would it be a good idea in general?
It gives people some templates, a place to start,
instead of having to read through reems of documentation.
I think it's a good idea across the board,
and it might even be worth tailoring the startup sample config based on
windows versus linux verses osx etc.
Particularly for the plugins, what programs to call to play wave and mp3 files,
where is the pdf to html converter, etc.
It would make things easier for the non expert if some of this stuff
just worked out of the box.
As a start some parts of the string in ebrc.c could be under
#ifdef DOSLIKE
windows plugin locations
#else
linux plugin locations
#endif
I mean that would take us quite a ways for very little work.

Karl Dahlke

* Re: [Edbrowse-dev] autogenerate sample .ebrc
@ 2015-09-27 20:21 ` Chris Brannon
From: Chris Brannon @ 2015-09-27 20:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Edbrowse-dev

Karl Dahlke <eklhad@comcast.net> writes:

> Geoff has programmed edbrowse to generate a sample .ebrc file if it finds none,
> and advices the user to personalize it when he gets a chance.
> This is just on the windows port, but would it be a good idea in general?

A fine idea, but does this supercede the setup.ebrc script, which
is still around in doc/?  When was the last time somebody looked at it?

-- Chris

* [Edbrowse-dev]  autogenerate sample .ebrc
@ 2015-09-27 20:26   ` Karl Dahlke
From: Karl Dahlke @ 2015-09-27 20:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Edbrowse-dev

> A fine idea, but does this supercede the setup.ebrc script,

I suppose it does. That script is so old it's probably badly out of date.
And it's bash so wouldn't run on windows anyways.
I should have written it in perl.
I'm happy to delete it.
edbrowse could crank out a template .ebrc specific to the platform,
with the probably correct plugin descriptors for wav and mp3 files,
pdf to html converter, certfile, and the like.
It's probably a better solution.

@ 2015-09-27 21:14     ` Adam Thompson
From: Adam Thompson @ 2015-09-27 21:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Karl Dahlke; +Cc: Edbrowse-dev