From: Karl Dahlke <eklhad@comcast.net>
To: Edbrowse-dev@lists.the-brannons.com
Subject: [Edbrowse-dev] js circumvented
Date: Thu, 01 Oct 2015 06:24:10 -0400	[thread overview]

Q. How can you read local files on your computer,
that aren't in html, and still run out of js memory?

a. If those files are very large, and in a format like pdf or some such
that is turned into html and rendered, then you may have megabytes of html,
all turned into js nodes, even the individual words turned into text nodes.
And yet there is no javascript in the generated html,
and it's all a waste, even slows down performance
even if you did have memory for it.

I think I should write a routine to detect the lack of js
ahead of time and disable it for this session.
Honestly it's easy to do.
loop over tags, if there is no <script>,
and if none of the tags have onclick onchange onload etc attributes,
and I already set flags based on these attributes,
so if none of these flags are set, then js is never going to run,
so just turn it off.
I'll probably go ahead with this, as people are already requesting it,
unless other people think it is a bad idea.

Karl Dahlke