On Mon, Nov 02, 2015 at 10:51:21PM -0800, Kevin Carhart wrote: > More possible clues to what this is or isn't caused by: > > When I run this page in the i686 static build, it loads immediately. That's interesting, what does db3 show, i.e. is it showing the js runnin successfully or erroring out at some stage? > When I run it in my ancient 3.3.1, it is slow but eventually completes. Wow, ok, that's a first for me, i.e. a page which loads with old edbrowse but not new edbrowse. I also can reproduce the problem and hitting ^c to kill the (apparently infinitely) loading page kills my edbrowse-js process. I'm thinking that what's happening here is they're using some code (ajax or similar) which is designed to run in the background all the time. In Edbrowse, because we have synchronous calls, this just blocks the entire process. This is backed up by the fact that attaching gdb to the running edbrowse-js process I can see that it's stuck in the guts of the js vm (no debugging symbols unfortunately so can't do much else there). Also an: ltrace -C -S -p on the process shows that the process is busily calling various js functions (they scrolled off the screen, but when I've more time I can work through them), so I suspect the js has gone infinite somewhere. For those who don't know (I didn't until I got into server debugging at work), ltrace is like strace but for library calls. The options above do name demangling, allow tracing of system as well as library calls and attach to the pid. I could also set it up to trace children and run on edbrowse itself, but I'm not sure how useful that would be for this issue. Is it worth passing the debug level through to the edbrowse-js process somehow, may be output a log file? Regards, Adam. > > > On Mon, 2 Nov 2015, Karl Dahlke wrote: > > >One of my science queries led me to this page, > >http://hypertextbook.com/facts/2000/StephanieLum.shtml > >run with db3 and edbrowse stops at > >execute addthis_widget.js at 1 > >js never returns, seems to run forever, chewing up cycles in the process. > >This is, sadly, one of those javascripts that Chris refers to as dog vomit, > >so not clear at all how to track this one down. > > > >Karl Dahlke > >_______________________________________________ > >Edbrowse-dev mailing list > >Edbrowse-dev@lists.the-brannons.com > >http://lists.the-brannons.com/mailman/listinfo/edbrowse-dev > > > > -------- > Kevin Carhart * 415 225 5306 * The Ten Ninety Nihilists > _______________________________________________ > Edbrowse-dev mailing list > Edbrowse-dev@lists.the-brannons.com > http://lists.the-brannons.com/mailman/listinfo/edbrowse-dev