Not sure what querySelectorAll is all about; can't we just call document.getElementsByTagName()? So if an object says p.snork has bgcolor=white then we get the array a = document.getElementsByTagName("p"); Loop over array and if obj.class == "snork" then obj.style.bgcolor = white. Or if the descriptor is on #instructions rather than a class of nodes, we use getElementById to find the node and then set its values. So I think we already have the middle third, and the last third seems reasonably easy to write. Karl Dahlke