You know there are some apostrophe macros in edbrowse when you run a shell escape. !echo '. echo the contents of the current line. And so on. Some of you use these a lot, I use them from time to time. Anyways in one of my scripts I want to be able to expand these, but not in a shell escape. It's like the file name is in amongst other stuff on the line and I strip out the other stuff by substitutions and then I want to e '. edit that file. but of course '. doesn't expand on an e command, just shell escape. I wouldn't want it to expand all the time, that would be damn confusing. So I wanted to add this feature but not with a user interface that is horribly clunky. I can think of three ways. 1. !!e '. The ! would shell escape, but !! just expands the macros and on we go. 2. apmac This command sets a one time flag so that the next command expands these macros. 3. Don't add any more edbrowse commands, we have enough already. Use the substitute commands to put file:// in front and then use the g command to go to that file. I like this, but it assumes I don't have any other reason to expand these macros, besides shell escapes and this special case of going to a file whose name is embedded in the current line. I don't have a strong preference here. Karl Dahlke