Ok, I need to boil all this down. It sounds like I'm doing the right thing, calling the onclick handlers but not the click handlers. Still, I think that's confusing as hell. If click() isn't automatically called by clicking then for Christ sake don't call it click! Call it foobar or something else. Unless ... the one onclick function throws the click event and then everything follows from there, I could grok that, but if click is truly separate from clicking, and just called click for fun, well, that's just bad programming. Karl Dahlke