* [Edbrowse-dev] either way
       [not found] ` <alpine.LRH.2.03.1802061431540.19453@carhart.net>
@ 2018-02-07  1:41   ` Karl Dahlke
From: Karl Dahlke @ 2018-02-07  1:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Edbrowse-dev

> wow, is it possible that things would
> actually work better if we removed attachEvent from startwindow entirely?

I put this back on the list because we should all think about it and discuss it.
I first thought about it 2 or 3 years ago:
we should emulate one browser, pick one, say Firefox, since we were using mozilla at the time,
and our objects and js etc should behave as much like firefox as possible,
and since every web site is tuned to support firefox, edbrowse will run.
I even thought about making firefox the default user agent, basically lie to the internet,
and you can switch over to edbrowse if you dare.
But I didn't go that way because I don't know enough about firefox, or any browser for that matter, to truly emulate it.
Instead we pretty much implemented whatever we thought we had to at the time, including imperfect implementations of parallel systems that do essentially the same thing.

Yes nasa runs exactly the same way if I globally substitute attachEvent with zattachEvent, thus taking it away.
It comes up empty however if I remove the addEventListener system.
I think the industry is gradually moving towards addEventListener, wherein attachEvent could be depricated.

It's not a crazy idea, it's a really good idea, pick a browser and aim to emulate that as closely as possible, I'm just not sure how to do that.
In the short run, should we just comment out the atachEvent system?
I don't know.
Or maybe turn it on or off with a variable, and by default that variable is off.
I guess I'd be ok with that.

We'll run into other situations I'm sure where we're trying to be too many things to too many people.

Karl Dahlke

* Re: [Edbrowse-dev] either way
@ 2018-02-07  5:00     ` Kevin Carhart
From: Kevin Carhart @ 2018-02-07  5:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Edbrowse-dev

Yes, it's good to get this on the list.

> Yes nasa runs exactly the same way if I globally substitute attachEvent with zattachEvent, thus taking it away.
> It comes up empty however if I remove the addEventListener system.

Interesting!!

> I think the industry is gradually moving towards addEventListener, wherein attachEvent could be depricated.

That seems to be the way attachEvent is portrayed when people write about
it, sort of a proprietary backwater.

> Or maybe turn it on or off with a variable, and by default that variable is off.

For my two cents, that seems good.