* [Edbrowse-dev] nasa slow
@ 2018-02-10 11:51 Karl Dahlke
From: Karl Dahlke @ 2018-02-10 11:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Edbrowse-dev

Using my local instance of nasa.gov, so I don't have to keep crawling on the internet,
I find the output is the same with or without several js files, and with or without the two css files, but,
without css the page browses in 6 seconds, with css it takes a minute 10.
Frustrating, since 99% of the time we don't need css anyways, but if we ever need it then I guess we have to do it.
There's an initial 6 seconds setting up css on the web page, I can live with that I guess, but all the rest comes from calls to getComputed Style().
I print g at the start of that routine, and h at the end, and almost all the time is spent between g and h.
Worse still, I'm using third party software that I don't want to mess with.
Yet I might have to, at some level, because we can't live with this much inefficiency.
querySelectorAll is running through the entire document tree, evaluating each node against each css selector, when it only has to examine one node in particular, the one passed to getComputedStyle.
But the traversal seems implicit to the third party software.
I can't tell it to look at just one node.
I'm not sure what to do here.

Karl Dahlke