From: Dominique Martinet <asmadeus@codewreck.org>
To: Karl Dahlke <eklhad@comcast.net>
Cc: Edbrowse-dev@lists.the-brannons.com
Subject: Re: [Edbrowse-dev] Directory Sort
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2018 18:42:35 +0100	[thread overview]

I don't really use edbrowse for files, but a couple of remarks as I do
use ls sorting a lot.

Karl Dahlke wrote on Sat, Jan 13, 2018:
> dsrt=t sort by time.

Files have three (or sometimes four now) times, the time you're
referring to is probably mtime (modification time), but I think it might
be useful to also sort by atime (access time) occasionally.

I use that, for example, when listening to a long list of files ; if I
have to resume from wherever I left on the previous day I just sort by
access time and pick the oldest one as that usually is how they happen
to be sorted : things I have accessed on the previous days are more
recent, and I usually write files in order too so the old ones will be
in order as well either from previous listening or creation.

The other two times are ctime (change time) and crtime (creation time),
although crtime is not always accessible, and I have found no use for
these on a daily basis.

> Finally, when sorting by time or size, should I move all the
> directories and special files to the end?
> They don't really have any meaning in terms of mod time or file size.
> I don't do that now but thinking maybe I should, what do you think?

I would not, but I assume that is just how I am used to it;
For example, when I list my download directory in order for the most
recent things if the recent thing was a tarball I extracted I want the
corresponding directory listed with the tarball.

There might be uses to sorting directories separately.
Making it yet another option might be overkill, I don't know.

--
Dominique