* [edbrowse-dev] imap thoughts
@ 2018-06-03 14:04 Karl Dahlke
From: Karl Dahlke @ 2018-06-03 14:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: edbrowse-dev

With recent work on imap, I remembered something from 2 years ago.
If you do an imap search on a word with nonascii utf8 characters in it, it works on some servers and not others. We never figured out why.
This could be relevant since Erwin speaks French, and will want to use accented letters.

The current imap interface doesn't scale well at all.
It's fine for a couple hundred messages per folder, but what if you have thousands.
This is just a thought, and perhaps not high priority.
I'll use a junk folder as example.

When you call up junk you get the last (most recent) 50 emails, or whatever your fetch limit is.
But how to go back through the thousands?

junk-

The previous 50 emails.
Sounds simple but there is a catch.
If you deleted or moved 10 emails during your first pass, and you go back to -100, you'll miss 10 emails in the gap.
So we have to be careful.

junk---

Back 3 groups.

junk-30

back 30 groups. junk+7, you see.

junk^ junk$

first and last groups.

Just a thought. I never have more than 100 emails in a folder so doesn't matter to me.

Karl Dahlke

only message in thread, other threads:[~2018-06-03 14:04 UTC | newest]