* [edbrowse-dev] imap mass action
@ 2018-06-05  9:36 Karl Dahlke
From: Karl Dahlke @ 2018-06-05  9:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: edbrowse-dev

Last time I wrote about random access for the messages in a large folder, but there's something else edbrowse doesn't have, that would be handy even if you only have a couple hundred emails.
Some form of mass action, like move all the mails in this set to folder x, or delete them all.
Use the search feature for all the mail from fred flintstone

/f fred flintstone

Then maybe a *m command to move them all.

*
everything
m fredbox
And there they go.

Or in the trash folder, search for everything from twitter and delete it.

You may say filters can do all of this, and yes, but imap web interface is not easy, not always simple to build filters,
and maybe you just didn't make that filter yet, or it didn't work, or Fred is sending you mails for the first time,
and in the gmail server, filters don't mean anything in spam or trash,
so you want to be abel to gather large groups together, wherein you know there are no false positives, and delete them.

Another variant of mass action is to delete all mail like the one you are looking at, rather than all mail in the set you have fetched.

*
all mail like
from this sender
m fredbox
move to fred's box.

In the trash world, if I'm looking at some stupid notification from twitter,

*
all mail like
from twitter
delete

No false positives here; there isn't any twitter mail I would want to keep.
I think this would be a powerful time saver - what do you think?
Ideas on the interface? Is it worth doing?
There are always lots of projects and only so much time.
I know there are very few edbrowse imap users out there.

Another obvious omission is being able to create folders.
Maybe delete them too but at least create.
I assume that can be done through the imap protocol, but I don't know.
That's not as vital since you can make them once through the web interface and use them thereafter.

Karl Dahlke

only message in thread, other threads:[~2018-06-05  9:36 UTC | newest]