From: Dominique Martinet <asmadeus@codewreck.org>
To: Edbrowse-dev@lists.the-brannons.com
Subject: Re: [edbrowse-dev] building on ubuntu
Date: Tue, 3 Sep 2019 07:52:10 +0200	[thread overview]

Karl Dahlke wrote on Mon, Sep 02, 2019:
> > I do not exactly understand your 'gnutls' vs 'openssl'...
>
> Guess what, neither do I.
> We convinced ourselves a year ago that was the problem, but ldd clearly shows my curl linking to openssl, and
> curl https://weloveanimals.me
> fails on my machine; I switch to another machine, still curl + openssl, and it works.
> So we still don't understand it at all.
> I wish we did.

Hmm, I thought it could be that debian raised the minimum tls version in
/etc/ssl/openssl.cnf a year ago or two (MinProtocol = TLSv1.2 in
[system_default_sect] section of the file), but that website appears to
support older protocols as well if I try to force these with the openssl
s_client command...

I can connect to it just fine using gnutls-cli as well so it might be
something specific to a precise version of debian (tested on a
recent-ish buster).
Possibly the certificate authority (CA) that this website uses is not
bundled by debian? But then I don't see what rebuilding curl would help
you with in that case, Kevin might have had a different issue that
needed him to rebuild curl.

--
Dominique