From: "alf.siciliano@gmail.com" <alf.siciliano@gmail.com>
To: edbrowse-dev@edbrowse.org
Cc: Geoff McLane <ubuntu@geoffair.info>,
	Adam Thompson <arthompson1990@gmail.com>,
	Dominique Martinet <asmadeus@codewreck.org>
Subject: Re: [edbrowse-dev] documentation respecting install prefix in cmake
Date: Fri, 27 Dec 2019 16:58:00 +0100	[thread overview]

Hi All and Enjoy the Holidays!

On Thu, 26 Dec 2019 21:51:00 +0100
Dominique Martinet <asmadeus@codewreck.org> wrote:

> > why do we have 2 slightly different UnixManFile... debian vs freebsd...
> > are the man app implementations /SO/ different... in a quick review, seems
> > they could be one...
>
> That is a good question, it looks like Alfonso Siciliano preferred
> adding a freebsd man page to using the debian one from the git log?
> I have added him in exlpicit CCs to this mail.

I added the man-edbrowse-freebsd.1 some year ago because I was bored
to patch the manual every time the FreeBSD port/package was updated,
now man-edbrowse-freebsd.1 is also used by OpenBSD:
https://cvsweb.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb/ports/www/edbrowse/patches/patch-CMakeLists_txt?rev=1.2

I honestly forgot the problem. Anyway, actually the manuals are different info
so I think we could try to join them in just one "edbrowse.1",
obviously I have no problem about copyright and license.

> > And they could use like @EDB_VERSION@, @VER_DATE@, etc... even say a
> > @DOC_INSTALL@, for the usersguide.html pointer... etc... etc...
> >
> > It seems the cmake default CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX of "/usr/local" is
> > generally agreed as the /ROOT/...
> >
> > So others components are "/ROOT/bin, lib, include"
> >
> > And then the man being "/ROOT/share/man/man1"...
> >
> > But it looks like some distros prefer "/ROOT/man/man1", which
> > would also be ok in my Ubuntu debian based linux, in that there is
> > a link "man -> share/man" ... must look in my Raspian RPI...
> >
> > Then the docs to "/ROOT/share/doc/<project>"...
>
> Ah, I had missed that FreeBSD wanted the man page in /usr/local/man
> (without /share/) in our CMakeLists.
> Looking at the FreeBSD release notes[1] that are a bit difficult to
> read, the man pages should go either to /usr/share/man if the prefix is
> /usr but if it is /usr/local then it should go directly to
> /usr/local/man for some reason... Odd... But that means my fix is
> incorrect.
> I just checked and the MANDIR variable from GNUInstallDirs has the
> correct exception for all BSDs, so I will update my patch to use that
> instead.
>
> [1] https://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=hier&apropos=0&sektion=0&manpath=FreeBSD+6.1-RELEASE&format=html

I read your patch:
https://github.com/martinetd/edbrowse/commit/d661da5d7e9b448778a32a3bf3c5c4486c9010e7

particularly I noted:
set (UnixManDir "${CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX}/share/man/man1")

the manual should be in /usr/local/man/man1 not in */share/*

I tried GNUInstallDirs, it is OK for FreeBSD:

include(GNUInstallDirs)
if (UNIX)
        FILE (GLOB UnixManFile "doc/man-edbrowse-debian.1")
        set (UnixManDir "${CMAKE_INSTALL_FULL_MANDIR}/man1")
        set (UnixDocDir "${CMAKE_INSTALL_FULL_DOCDIR}")
        if (${CMAKE_SYSTEM_NAME} STREQUAL  "FreeBSD")
                FILE (GLOB UnixManFile "doc/man-edbrowse-freebsd.1")
        endif ()
endif ()

UnixManDir = /usr/local/man/man1
UnixDocDir = /usr/local/share/doc/edbrowse

Anyway, if FreeBSD is a problem in that "cmake context" you could ignore it,
I' ll handle it via the FreeBSD port/package Makefile.

Alfonso

---
alf.siciliano@gmail.com <alf.siciliano@gmail.com>