* gmail nightmare
@ 2022-05-26 18:17 Karl Dahlke
From: Karl Dahlke @ 2022-05-26 18:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: edbrowse-dev

I've been using edbrowse to fetch gmail like forever, on pop3 and imap.
I received this email.

---------------
On May 30, you may lose access to apps that are using less secure sign-in technology
To help keep your account secure, Google will no longer support the use of
third-party apps or devices which ask you to sign in to your Google Account
using only your username and password.
Instead, you’ll need to sign in using {Sign in with Google} or other more
secure technologies, like OAuth 2.0. {Learn more}
What do you need to do?
Email software, like Outlook 2016 or earlier,
has less secure access to your Gmail.
Switch to Office 365, Outlook 2019 or newer,
or any other email software where you can sign in using Sign in with Google.
{Learn more}
---------------

WTF.
I obviously can't sign in with google.
Someone kindly wrote what to do in the wiki, like this.

---------------
1. Sign into your Google account.
2. Go to the "security" section.
3. Go to the "app password" section.
4. Generate an app password. Use "Mail" for the app and "Other" for the device (if none of the device descriptions are suitable). Google will generate a password for you to use that is different from your main Google account password.
---------------

That's fine but there is no app password section.
I can't find it anywhere.
Any ideas?
May 30 is coming up fast.

Karl Dahlke

* Re: gmail nightmare
@ 2022-05-26 19:18 ` baggett
From: baggett @ 2022-05-26 19:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Karl Dahlke; +Cc: edbrowse-dev

Karl,
I use edbrowse to send and receive gmail messages.
I did not receive the warning message you got. They'll probably just drop
me without warning.

Larry

On Thu, 26 May 2022, Karl Dahlke wrote:

> I've been using edbrowse to fetch gmail like forever, on pop3 and imap.
> I received this email.
>
> ---------------
> On May 30, you may lose access to apps that are using less secure sign-in technology
> To help keep your account secure, Google will no longer support the use of
> third-party apps or devices which ask you to sign in to your Google Account
> using only your username and password.
> Instead, you’ll need to sign in using {Sign in with Google} or other more
> secure technologies, like OAuth 2.0. {Learn more}
> What do you need to do?
> Email software, like Outlook 2016 or earlier,
> has less secure access to your Gmail.
> Switch to Office 365, Outlook 2019 or newer,
> or any other email software where you can sign in using Sign in with Google.
> {Learn more}
> ---------------
>
> WTF.
> I obviously can't sign in with google.
> Someone kindly wrote what to do in the wiki, like this.
>
> ---------------
> 1. Sign into your Google account.
> 2. Go to the "security" section.
> 3. Go to the "app password" section.
> 4. Generate an app password. Use "Mail" for the app and "Other" for the device (if none of the device descriptions are suitable). Google will generate a password for you to use that is different from your main Google account password.
> ---------------
>
> That's fine but there is no app password section.
> I can't find it anywhere.
> Any ideas?
> May 30 is coming up fast.
>
> Karl Dahlke

* Re: gmail nightmare
@ 2022-05-26 19:19 ` Alfonso S. Siciliano
From: Alfonso S. Siciliano @ 2022-05-26 19:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Karl Dahlke, edbrowse-dev

On 5/26/22 20:17, Karl Dahlke wrote:
> I've been using edbrowse to fetch gmail like forever, on pop3 and imap.
> I received this email.
>
> ---------------
> On May 30, you may lose access to apps that are using less secure sign-in technology
> To help keep your account secure, Google will no longer support the use of
> third-party apps or devices which ask you to sign in to your Google Account
> using only your username and password.
> Instead, you’ll need to sign in using {Sign in with Google} or other more
> secure technologies, like OAuth 2.0. {Learn more}
> What do you need to do?
> Email software, like Outlook 2016 or earlier,
> has less secure access to your Gmail.
> Switch to Office 365, Outlook 2019 or newer,
> or any other email software where you can sign in using Sign in with Google.
> {Learn more}
> ---------------
>
> WTF.
> I obviously can't sign in with google.
> Someone kindly wrote what to do in the wiki, like this.
>
> ---------------
> 1. Sign into your Google account.
> 2. Go to the "security" section.
> 3. Go to the "app password" section.
> 4. Generate an app password. Use "Mail" for the app and "Other" for the device (if none of the device descriptions are suitable). Google will generate a password for you to use that is different from your main Google account password.
> ---------------
>
> That's fine but there is no app password section.
> I can't find it anywhere.
> Any ideas?
> May 30 is coming up fast.
>
> Karl Dahlke

Hello,

I got into my Google account now,
I have "app password" section.

You can try to enter into your Google account and
go to
https://myaccount.google.com/apppasswords

Then Google will ask your password again.
In a form you could have 2 multi-choice menu under
"Select the app and device for which you want to
generate the app password."
The menus are "Select App" and "Select Device"
and later a button "GENERATE".

Good luck!
Alfonso

* Re: gmail nightmare
@ 2022-05-27 15:00   ` Serge E. Hallyn
From: Serge E. Hallyn @ 2022-05-27 15:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alfonso S. Siciliano; +Cc: Karl Dahlke, edbrowse-dev

On Thu, May 26, 2022 at 09:19:15PM +0200, Alfonso S. Siciliano wrote:
> On 5/26/22 20:17, Karl Dahlke wrote:
> > I've been using edbrowse to fetch gmail like forever, on pop3 and imap.
> > I received this email.
> >
> > ---------------
> > On May 30, you may lose access to apps that are using less secure sign-in technology
> > To help keep your account secure, Google will no longer support the use of
> > third-party apps or devices which ask you to sign in to your Google Account
> > using only your username and password.
> > Instead, you’ll need to sign in using {Sign in with Google} or other more
> > secure technologies, like OAuth 2.0. {Learn more}
> > What do you need to do?
> > Email software, like Outlook 2016 or earlier,
> > has less secure access to your Gmail.
> > Switch to Office 365, Outlook 2019 or newer,
> > or any other email software where you can sign in using Sign in with Google.
> > {Learn more}
> > ---------------
> >
> > WTF.
> > I obviously can't sign in with google.
> > Someone kindly wrote what to do in the wiki, like this.
> >
> > ---------------
> > 1. Sign into your Google account.
> > 2. Go to the "security" section.
> > 3. Go to the "app password" section.
> > 4. Generate an app password. Use "Mail" for the app and "Other" for the device (if none of the device descriptions are suitable). Google will generate a password for you to use that is different from your main Google account password.
> > ---------------
> >
> > That's fine but there is no app password section.
> > I can't find it anywhere.
> > Any ideas?
> > May 30 is coming up fast.
> >
> > Karl Dahlke
>
> Hello,
>
> I got into my Google account now,
> I have "app password" section.
>
> You can try to enter into your Google account and
> go to
> https://myaccount.google.com/apppasswords
>
> Then Google will ask your password again.
> In a form you could have 2 multi-choice menu under
> "Select the app and device for which you want to
> generate the app password."
> The menus are "Select App" and "Select Device"
> and later a button "GENERATE".
>
> Good luck!
> Alfonso

For what it's worth, while the interface for setting the password is a
pain, I do really like that the imap password is now different from
my overall gmail password.