* closed, for now
@ 2022-09-11 19:48 Karl Dahlke
From: Karl Dahlke @ 2022-09-11 19:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: edbrowse-dev

The possible redesign of edbrowse buffer to use link list is, after 3
days of head-down work, closed, for now.
I rather forgot about the undo command.
So an empty line could consume 40 bytes of ram, and then another 40 on
the undo side.
The link list design basically doubles the amount of memory consumed.
We have to keep everything new and old, and all those next prev
pointers on both sides. Just do the math, or actually, I should have
done the math first.
A minute of thought is worth a megabyte of programming.
For the most part, the linear design only adds 8 bytes per line for the
undo feature, unless you do something weird like ,s/^.//
It sure doesn't double things.
Yes the linear design has its disadvantages, we've run into them,
don't type g/stuff/ .m-2 on a big file, just don't do it, Henny
Youngman.
I'll hang on to the linklist stuff for a while, or maybe put it in a
branch or something, though it will quickly become out of date and
unworkable as edbrowse moves on, cause that's how software works.

Karl Dahlke

only message in thread, other threads:[~2022-09-11 19:48 UTC | newest]