From: "Serge E. Hallyn" <serge@hallyn.com>
To: Adam Thompson <arthompson1990@gmail.com>
Cc: "Serge E. Hallyn" <serge@hallyn.com>,
	Patrick Smyth <patricksmyth@fastmail.com>,
	edbrowse-dev@edbrowse.org
Subject: Re: Cli-focused screen reader
Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2022 14:38:53 -0500	[thread overview]

On Fri, Sep 09, 2022 at 08:28:01PM +0100, Adam Thompson wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 09, 2022 at 01:36:37PM -0500, Serge E. Hallyn wrote:
> > On Fri, Sep 09, 2022 at 02:25:09PM -0400, Patrick Smyth wrote:
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > Apologies if this is a basic or trivial question, but I wanted to ask about
> > > setting up screen readers for the command line on Linux. I am using Linux
> > > Mint (functionally Ubuntu LTS), and while I can use Orca to read X11
> > > terminals, it's quite slow and annoying to use, and I'd prefer something
> > > specific to the terminal. I'm also pretty happy with speakup when I drop out
> > > of the graphical interface, so not looking for anything there.

> > > I've tried a couple command-line specific screen readers, and I've had a lot
> > > of trouble getting them to work. The two I've tried recently are tdsr
> > > (https://github.com/tspivey/tdsr) and fenrir
> > > (https://github.com/chrys87/fenrir). Setting aside Fenrir, since the setup
> > > is a lot more involved, when I run tdsr I get the following error
> > >
> > > ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'speechd'

> > I'm sure there's much better things out there and I look forward to seeing
> > them listed here :)  But if I were to want this right now, I would write a
> > brief wrapper to wrap around a shell, which writes fd 1 and 2 output to
> > espeak.  (I've used espeak for several things like this, and love how easily
> > i can switch the voice and accent and speed and pitch.)  I'd be curious
> > however, for your use case, what you'd want to do about input.  Do you only
> > want output to be spoken, or do you want each character spoken, or the input
> > spoken when you hit return?  Also not sure whether you'd want stdout and
> > stderr interwoven, or whether that depends on whether the command has exited
> > or is interactive, etc.
>
> It sounds like the use-case here is to run within a graphical environment
> but with a terminal screenreader. In that case simply outputting the FDs

I wasn't quite sure, since he said

	screen readers for the command line on Linux.

To me that meant that shell in the default terminal should have screenreader
support, but I probably misread as usual  :)

I was reminded of sitting in bright sunlight with laptop with weak screen,
and wanting everything (quietly) spoken as I edited...  (And yeah, my
suggestion would not work there either, that's more of a edbrowse | espeak
scenario)

> from a shell (although a nice idea) probably won't do since there'll be no
> review functionality etc. Tbh, I usually just use a console for CLI stuff

Sorry - what do you mean by "review functionality"?  Choosing (visually
perhaps) what should be spoken?