From: Geoff McLane <ubuntu@geoffair.info>
To: Chris Brannon <chris@the-brannons.com>,
	edbrowse-dev@edbrowse.org, Karl Dahlke <eklhad@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [edbrowse-dev] quick js
Date: Sun, 7 Mar 2021 19:40:36 +0100

Hi Karl, Chris, et al,

Wow, you touch on so many things, hard to know what to answer...

cmake vs makefile:

Any 'makefile' is basically unix/linux, *nix, only... There is really no
such thing as a portable makefile, at least as far as Windows is
concerned. Yes, MSVC Windows has `nmake`, but it deviates from most *nix
makes, often very significantly...

cmake, on the other hand, is a `makefile` generator, and includes a
'configure' stage, before the 'generator' kicks in, so is suitable for
windows, and *nix, mostly... and is the closest we have to 'portable'...

I recently built edbrowse in windows, and pushed a 'win32' branch, with
most of the required changes, but with Karl's faster than light changes,
became outdated even before it landed... but no problem... keep up the
energy Karl... ;=))

static vs shared: Yes, this is a storm!

*nix has a very good system in places to deal with 'shared' - just a few
'fixed' directories - and their many arguments in favor of this are very
sound...

Windows is a big problem case - no 'fixed' directories - or rather the
ones there are like C:\Windows, etc... are really only for true 'system'
software... certainly NOT recommended for other, 3rdParty, software...

Yes, others can be added to the PATH, by an 'installer', which has to
have 'admin' privileges, and must include all/most shared DLLs, but then
you get a horrendous PATH variable. Already, in my relatively new DELL03
machine it is over 1300 bytes long, some 36 paths... and continues to
grow... on just about every 3rdparty install...

AND can lead to conflicts, breaks, as happened recently with a
'Strawberry' perl install... It put some things in the PATH which broke
several other 3rdPary builds... and was hard to find, debug...

And yes, I had this big fight with other *nix distro maintainer, about
what I do with 'Tidy'... and compromised on adding cmake options to
allow them to build/install tidy 'their' way ;=)) while still keeping my
convenient Windows way...

Windows support:

Windows will always be a problem, especially edbrowse dependence on
3rdParty libs... it requires considerable understanding and effort... to
setup...

So, simply, some of this discussion would just go away, if you drop
Windows support, and thus drop cmake!

This might not be a problem, since at this time, I do not think there is
any other edbrowse users in Windows... they would be yelling otherwise -
can't build edbrowse, for lots of reasons...

Good luck, with what ever you decide... will continue to help where I can...

HTH!

Best regards,
Geoff.