From: Geoff McLane <ubuntu@geoffair.info>
To: Kevin Carhart <kevin_carhart@fastmail.fm>,
	Karl Dahlke <eklhad@comcast.net>,
	edbrowse-dev@edbrowse.org, Chris Brannon <chris@the-brannons.com>
Subject: Re: [edbrowse-dev] quick js
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2021 15:37:31 +0100

Hi Karl, Chris, Kevin, et al,

Thanks Karl for the source pointer... I had read that before, but was
buried deep in my emails...

I cloned it into both Ubuntu and Windows...

Regrettably, it only offers a 'Makefile' build, which did build fine in
Ubuntu... but really pollutes its own repo... sad, but not really a
problem...

And it seems the only concession to Windows is through one of the
emulators, mingw, so is difficult to build in native Windows, using
MSVC, without first constructing a suitable CMakeLists.txt...

I took an initial run at it, but a few of my helper tools failed to
generate anything meaningful... they have put the main library source in
the /root/, mixed with files that have their own 'main', thus are EXEs,
not LIBs, which makes guessing tricky, faulty...

And add the fact that, from the linux build, it seems several sources
are generated during 'make', from built tools, like qjs$(EXE),
qjsc$(EXE), ... which always causes a problem, for my auto generated
scripts... but cmake can handle fine... after manual intervention...

Luckily, so far, it seems the only extra depend lib is pthreads, which I
already have...

Sadly, after I got my first CMakeLists.txt build going, see the source
includes 'unistd.h', showing that it has NEVER been built in native
Windows, which does not have such a header, but there are some somewhat
equivalent native windows headers... just needs a MACRO, like edbrowse
src has...

And ran into Built-in Functions Provided by GCC, like builtin_clz, and
others... which strangely had not seen before... read therefore do not
have a known windows native solution...

Anyway, I took a few runs at it, but sadly, made NO significant
progress... which is disheartening, to say the least... so had to give
up for now...

Searching around, found https://github.com/mengmo/QuickJS-Windows-Build,
but it uses MSYS2 emulator... which I do have... but what am I gaining
with this?

Will try to poke at it now and then, and may try a 'mingw', or 'msys2'
build, but certainly /NO/ quick solution ;=((

And yes, Kevin, I too am a little facinated by WSL... seemingly a MS
free-be!?!?!? ... I have read into the install docs, and as you say,
does not look TOO terrible ;=))... so may get around to trying that...
for fun!

You know, I started this new, well circa Dec 2019, Dell03 Windows 10
machine - A Dell XPS 8930 - with a total 1.5 TB of disk space - which I
have already more than half filled! But have added a 2 TB usd hdd, that
I can move things too... I am sure WSL is going to gobble up some more
;=)) But WSL, being a Virtual Machine, will probably not like to install
on a transient-like usb drive...

Yes, I would like to keep a windows build of edbrowse... its very
existence may encourage those 'niche' users...

Best regards,
Geoff.