* Cli-focused screen reader
@ 2022-09-09 18:25 Patrick Smyth
From: Patrick Smyth @ 2022-09-09 18:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: edbrowse-dev

Hi all,

Apologies if this is a basic or trivial question, but I wanted to
ask about setting up screen readers for the command line on Linux.
I am using Linux Mint (functionally Ubuntu LTS), and while I can
use Orca to read X11 terminals, it's quite slow and annoying to
use, and I'd prefer something specific to the terminal. I'm also
pretty happy with speakup when I drop out of the graphical
interface, so not looking for anything there.

I've tried a couple command-line specific screen readers, and I've
had a lot of trouble getting them to work. The two I've tried
recently are tdsr (https://github.com/tspivey/tdsr) and fenrir
(https://github.com/chrys87/fenrir). Setting aside Fenrir, since
the setup is a lot more involved, when I run tdsr I get the
following error

ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'speechd'

I have speech dispatcher installed with aptitude (apt-get install
speech-dispatcher). I downloaded the speech dispatcher project
from GitHub and tried importing the Python API, but it gives me a
circular import issue. Here's the speech dispatcher repo on
GitHub, there's a clients folder with a Python library:
https://github.com/brailcom/speechd

If people have gotten speech dispatcher for Python or the tdsr
screen reader working, I'd appreciate any guidance. If people are
more familiar with fenrir, I can try to articulate where I'm stuck
with that, but it's significantly more involved as a setup
process. And apologies if edbrowse isn't the place for this kind
of question, though it seems fairly likely some of us are using
CLI screen readers in this community.

Thanks, and hope you have a good end of the week!

Best,
Patrick