* [Edbrowse-dev] version 3.6.0
@ 2015-10-01 21:16 Karl Dahlke
From: Karl Dahlke @ 2015-10-01 21:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Edbrowse-dev

I've been thinking about when to cut the next version and what
still needs to be resolved.
I'm not in a big hurry, I'm just trying to be organized.
Chris maybe you want to maintain a list of items to close before new version.
We've done a whole lot of work that we want to bundle up.

I'm taking hints from the notes in CHANGES.

1. International
30 new messages with all the new features, these have been translated into
only 1 of the 4 languages we support.
I sent email to the others but haven't heard back;
I can send email again but don't like to pester.
Still I'm hoping this is caught up by the new version.

2. imap
Should be exercised in different situations, and people are doing that.
Search feature still doesn't work with gmail for utf8 characters,
I can't figure out why,
though it does work on other servers.
Do we need any bulk features like delete all messages or move
all to another folder?

3. tidy5
What is our strategy for this library?
Will they be releasing an official version that we are comfortable with?
That would be the best scenario.
If not, how can we build and bundle our software with version 5.1.15
or whatever we need?
I really don't want to make things too difficult for our distributors.
Are there still unresolved tidy bugs that are show stoppers,
like the style comment bug?
Are there smaller bugs that we might want to work around,
like the nested anchor bug?

4. tree of nodes, rendering, redesign
A lot of changes here, all good, all needed to be done,
but need people to exercise it, and they are.
Are we still getting seg faults or other serious problems?
If yes then I need to track them down.

5. ls attributes
Use lsl to get the length of the file on the current line,
or ls=l to display lengths of files in future directory scans.
lst time lsp permissions etc, just a matter of exercising these
and looking for bugs and people are doing that.

6. Windows port
Should we just have edbrowse ported to windows for 3.6.0 and save edbrowse-js
for 3.6.1? Maybe have js off by default in the first windows port.
That's ok with me.
Depends on how much work is involved in windows mozilla and pipes etc.
As per edbrowse itself, we need experienced edbrowse users to test it on windows.
I don't have a windows machine so can't help here.
Geoff doesn't know all the features that we routinely use.
The file manager especially should be tested as directories and file operations
are different calls on windows.
Shell escape, plugins, downloads, etc.

7. statics
This is perhaps a separate question from version control,
but will it be feasible to maintain an edbrowse.exe along with our statics,
so people won't have to build it from source?
Most linux people have gcc, but hardly any windows user has a compiler,
so it doesn't mean much unless we can offer some sort of executable.

Karl Dahlke

* Re: [Edbrowse-dev] version 3.6.0
@ 2015-10-01 23:56 ` Chris Brannon
From: Chris Brannon @ 2015-10-01 23:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Edbrowse-dev

Karl Dahlke <eklhad@comcast.net> writes:

> Chris maybe you want to maintain a list of items to close before new version.

Yes, great idea.  I don't think we're ready yet.  This is a nice list;
my comments are below.

> Will they be releasing an official version that we are comfortable with?
> If not, how can we build and bundle our software with version 5.1.15

This is a big sticking point for a new edbrowse release.  I don't know
what Geoff's release plans are, but that's a discussion we can have
sometime soonish, I suppose.  We're still hammering out tidy issues.
If we end up bundling our own Tidy 5, my job is to make this painless
for distributors.

> Are we still getting seg faults or other serious problems?

Yes we are, but things are starting to slow down.
It needs a lot more exercise.  You know what might be helpful here?  I
could make some "bleeding edge" static builds of the latest code, and
then we could put out a call for testers on the command-line list.
Not having to do a song and dance to build all of this software from git
would make life easier for some would-be bug hunters.
Maybe I'll get to the point where I keep two sets of statics: one that
is "stable", and the other that is rebuilt from the latest code as often
as possible.

> Maybe have js off by default in the first windows port.

Yes, this is fine with me.

> but will it be feasible to maintain an edbrowse.exe along with our statics,

Sure it will, but I need someone to build it for me and to keep the
Windows build in sync with everything else.

-- Chris