From: Chris Brannon <chris@the-brannons.com>
To: edbrowse-dev@edbrowse.org
Subject: Re: [edbrowse-dev] quick js
Date: Sun, 07 Mar 2021 08:15:31 -0800	[thread overview]

Karl Dahlke <eklhad@comcast.net> writes:

> * I'd like to make quick part of the official edbrowse, as of version 3.8.0.
*SNIP*
> so it's hard to see why we shouldn't make the leap as soon as possible.

I don't see a reason not to ship it as soon as the core dumps and other
kinks are worked out, especially if it is going to be such a huge improvement.

> * Then there is the makefile, and not sure why we have two, or if we need two.
> Can't the makefile work for everybody, and forget GNUmakefile?

It should be possible to write a portable makefile.  I'll work on that,
since I do have experience with build systems.  On the topic of build
systems, would it be worth removing the cmake support?

> * quick builds a static library, not a shared library - does this
> present issues for our distributors?

Distros can package static libraries just as easy as dynamic libraries.
The advantage of a dynamic library for a distro maintainer is that if a
bug -- such as a security issue -- is found in a dependency, all of the
things that depend on it can be fixed by rebuilding the dynamic library.
With static linking, every package that links against the library needs
a rebuild.  There's a minor shitstorm on the Internet right now about
this, because some newer programming languages (namely Rust and Go) tend
to favor static linking or even make dynamic linking impossible.  My
advice is don't worry about it.

--
Chris Brannon
Founder: Blind and Low Vision Unix Users Group (https://blvuug.org/).