* [Edbrowse-dev] tidy script bug workaround
@ 2015-09-13  1:22 Karl Dahlke
From: Karl Dahlke @ 2015-09-13  1:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Edbrowse-dev

Well if they've been talking about this bug since 2007,
then they might not fix it soon.
With that in mind I was thinking about a preprocessing workaround.
My first attempt looked for strings within scripts,
and then <script within a string,
but that was completely derailed by
	if(whatever.match(/"/)) { do stuff }
The bare regexps make this approach impossible.
So I made the routine even simpler, and I think safer and better.
If it flags a false positive, then the script won't compile and won't run,
which is better than running and doing the wrong thing.
Normally I just push stuff without review,
in the interest of getting things done,
which is perhaps arrogant, and I apologize for that,
but this one I think people should look at first.
It is ready to push if you say go.
The new string is longer than the original,
so I have to use all those dynamic string functions.

/* Work around a nasty bug in tidy5 wherein "<script>" anywhere
 * in a javascript will totally derail things.
 * I turn < into \x3c. */
static char *escapeLessScript(const char *htmltext)
{
	char *ns;		/* new string */
	int ns_l;
	const char *s1, *s2;	/* start and end of script */
	const char *lw;		/* last write */
	const char *q;		/* inner script */

	ns = initString(&ns_l);
	lw = htmltext;

	while (true) {
		s1 = strstrCI(lw, "<script");
		if (!s1)
			break;
//  printf("@@%s", s1);
		s1 += 7;
		if (isalnumByte(*s1)) {	/* <scriptx */
			stringAndBytes(&ns, &ns_l, lw, s1 - lw);
			lw = s1;
			continue;
		}
		s2 = strstrCI(s1, "</script");
		if (!s2)
			goto abort;

/* script now has a start and end */
		stringAndBytes(&ns, &ns_l, lw, s1 - lw);
		lw = s1;

		while (true) {
			q = strstrCI(lw, "<script");
			if (!q || q > s2)
				break;
			stringAndBytes(&ns, &ns_l, lw, q - lw);
			stringAndString(&ns, &ns_l, "\\x3c");
			lw = q + 1;
		}

		stringAndBytes(&ns, &ns_l, lw, s2 - lw);
		lw = s2;
	}

	stringAndString(&ns, &ns_l, lw);
	return ns;

abort:
	nzFree(ns);
	return 0;
}				/* escapeLessScript */

* Re: [Edbrowse-dev] tidy script bug workaround
@ 2015-09-13  8:17 ` Chris Brannon
From: Chris Brannon @ 2015-09-13  8:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Edbrowse-dev

Karl Dahlke <eklhad@comcast.net> writes:

> Well if they've been talking about this bug since 2007,
> then they might not fix it soon.

Yeah, but on the other hand, some of that discussion was from the
original tidy project, which has been more-or-less dead for some years
now.  Tidy 5 is new enough that I'm hopeful.
Seems that Kevin has been interacting with their issue tracker and
possibly their team; I'm happy to do what I can to help on that front also.

> but this one I think people should look at first.
> It is ready to push if you say go.

I'm giving this a very tentative go.  I read through it a couple times.
I don't see anything obviously wrong, but yeah, it's tricky.

PS.  I'm seeing more and more examples of this in the wild, including
one on a BBC news site.

-- Chris

* [Edbrowse-dev]  tidy script bug workaround
@ 2015-09-13 14:46   ` Karl Dahlke
From: Karl Dahlke @ 2015-09-13 14:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Edbrowse-dev

> I don't see anything obviously wrong, but yeah, it's tricky.

Ok, it's pushed, try it on your various examples.

> One of us should get on there, let them know about us, and see if we can
> get something to happen. I'm glad to do it unless someone else feels
> more diplomatic.

No one is more diplomatic than you.

Karl Dahlke

* Re: [Edbrowse-dev] tidy script bug workaround
@ 2015-09-13 16:37     ` Adam Thompson
From: Adam Thompson @ 2015-09-13 16:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Karl Dahlke; +Cc: Edbrowse-dev

On Sun, Sep 13, 2015 at 10:46:02AM -0400, Karl Dahlke wrote:
> > I don't see anything obviously wrong, but yeah, it's tricky.
>
> Ok, it's pushed, try it on your various examples.

Doesn't this miss the also destructive </script problem?

Cheers,
Adam.

* [Edbrowse-dev]   tidy script bug workaround
@ 2015-09-13 17:05       ` Karl Dahlke
From: Karl Dahlke @ 2015-09-13 17:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Edbrowse-dev

> Doesn't this miss the also destructive </script problem?

Yes it does, but "</script>" does not seem to appear in the wild.
In other words, web developers and generators are careful not to crank out
the string "...</script>..." because </script> anywhere ends the script.
My parser has made this assumption for ten years, and it's pretty reliable.

They're more than happy to write
var a = "<script>";
but not
var a = "</script>";
the latter often written as
var a = "</scr" + "ipt>";
This too generates a tidy warning, because </s shouldn't appear,
or </ any letter for that matter,
but it does not cause trouble and does not derail the script.
So my early research suggests we're ok here.

Karl Dahlke

* Re: [Edbrowse-dev] tidy script bug workaround
@ 2015-09-14 17:05         ` Adam Thompson
From: Adam Thompson @ 2015-09-14 17:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Karl Dahlke; +Cc: Edbrowse-dev

On Sun, Sep 13, 2015 at 01:05:45PM -0400, Karl Dahlke wrote:
> > Doesn't this miss the also destructive </script problem?
>
> Yes it does, but "</script>" does not seem to appear in the wild.
> In other words, web developers and generators are careful not to crank out
> the string "...</script>..." because </script> anywhere ends the script.
> My parser has made this assumption for ten years, and it's pretty reliable.
>
> They're more than happy to write
> var a = "<script>";
> but not
> var a = "</script>";
> the latter often written as
> var a = "</scr" + "ipt>";
> This too generates a tidy warning, because </s shouldn't appear,
> or </ any letter for that matter,
> but it does not cause trouble and does not derail the script.
> So my early research suggests we're ok here.

Ok that makes sense. In which case I'm unclear as to why tidy5 wouldn't handle
<script inside a script tag. Has anyone posted to their mailing list yet about this?

Cheers,
Adam.

* Re: [Edbrowse-dev] tidy script bug workaround
@ 2015-09-14 18:37           ` Chris Brannon
From: Chris Brannon @ 2015-09-14 18:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Edbrowse-dev

Adam Thompson <arthompson1990@gmail.com> writes:

> Has anyone posted to their mailing list yet about this?

Yes, I have.
I haven't heard back from them yet.

-- Chris