From: "Kevin Carhart" <kevin_carhart@fastmail.fm>
To: edbrowse-dev@edbrowse.org
Subject: document.write and innerHTML
Date: Wed, 09 Jun 2021 22:14:50 -0700	[thread overview]

Paging Silas, do you subscribe to edbrowse-dev now?

I researched what Silas is talking about a little bit and here is what I found out.  I can't tell if it's significant or just odd.

I went to both jdb and the firefox console, and I can confirm that our behavior diverges from FF behavior, but it's also different from what I expected in a strange way
In edbrowse, if I load a page and then say document.body.innerHTML, I get stuff
Then if I say document.write("hello") and then document.body.innerHTML, nothing changed and it echoes the same string.
In the FF console if I run the same things, I was expecting it to append "hello" on the existing innerHTML.  But it completely clobbers.  And correspondingly, the render completely changes.  (of course, only in the browser, where you can mess with the already-downloaded as much as you like.)  So now the entire page has had its innerHTML changed to just "hello".

So I don't know if ssb22 is saying that an append or a clobber is what should happen, but I think he's pointing out that currently in edbrowse neither happens.