Hi Karl, Adam, Well I think pipes and sockets seem certainly the most practical cross-platform IPC mechanisms... Pipes seems to have less difference in that only perhaps a few #ifdef WIN32 are required, if any, in a cross-compile... Sockets definitely does require a number of #ifdef WIN32, but not really excessive... many can be handled as MACROS... and the cross-porting has been done MANY times... in lots and lots of libraries, apps, utilities, so is sort of very mature... getting easy even... But reading up a little on MSDN, and remembering, the following IPC mechanisms are available in Windows, but for sure some are **WINDOWS ONLY**! 1. Clipboard/DDE - can agree a format then do copy/paste 2. COM - OLE manage compound document interface 3. Data Copy - Using Windows messaging - WM_COPYDATA 4. RPC - have only ever used it over sockets... 5. File Mapping or shared memory mapping - just put data 6. Pipes and Sockets - are cross-platform... Not sure which of these would fit "domain sockets", but maybe I missed something else available... having coded and used most of them, in various apps, at various time, I am not sure which I would choose as the most 'generic' to Windows... I am sure unix has some form of shared memory mapping (5)... just copy a data block using a simple memory pointer would probably be the fastest... but requires that the partner be monitoring that space, polling... and what about thread safety? and maybe needs some/many #ifdef to account for the differences... But as Karl mentions he has already shown 6. Pipes and Sockets both work... with no porting issues that I know of... Concerning sockets, over the years I have collected some tcp, udp samples, and this is where I added and tested Karl's socket.c - and pushed them all to my 'new' tcp-tests repo - https://github.com/geoffmcl/tcp-tests See src/ebsocket.c... compiles without even a warning both in WIN32 and UNIX... still to do a WIN64 compile... and maybe a MinGW compile... sockets are fun ;=)) and really now quite an old technology that has not been replaced... Regards, Geoff. PS: I have now 'subscibed' to the dev list... so should be no need to cc me...