From: Kevin Carhart <kevin@carhart.net>
To: Karl Dahlke <eklhad@comcast.net>
Cc: Edbrowse-dev@lists.the-brannons.com
Subject: Re: [Edbrowse-dev] startwindow / class NodeList
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2015 12:55:25 -0700 (PDT)	[thread overview]

Hi Adam and Karl,

Thanks for writing, I take your points about where to do what.

I see the points about the back and forth, can we, can't we.  I'm not
married to writing javascript so maybe I could help build out some
pieces of DOM in C when the time comes.  I remember the tidy5 thread and I
agree that this will be huge, because doesn't this mean you will have an
easier time from now on, doing the types of translations that jSyncup
does?  So tidy5 is a big deal!  Maybe I should wait a while and see how
the landscape for how to work changes with the parser?

> Even if startwindow.js is temporary, it sure has brought us a lot of
> functionality for not a lot of code,
> to help us see the path ahead, maybe like a prototype.

I know what you mean.  In order to get over the chicken and egg problem of
not knowing anything and not knowing how to find out, I did something like
this and compiled a very marked-up edbrowse as a dynamic harness for
happens.  What I've observed is that then it raises a question around
generality and specificity: so I'm knee-deep in the real world, weird code
of a live website (like amazon, or yellowpages or yelp), how do I know if
the situations I'm seeing will come up enough generally for the effort to
have been worth it?  Or does this uncertainty mean that the
reverse-engineering technique is extraneous?  Anyway, I did some of this..
it's like Karl has written from time to time - you also reverse particular
pages because you are trying to get that page working for yourself in the
short term.

> I think we all have a lot of other stuff going on in life,
> which has slowed us down a bit of late.
I understand.. I have set it down for long periods.  I picked edbrowse
back up about a month ago and have been a bit addicted since then.

thanks
Kevin

PS As a short aside, Karl, you have periodically said, I don't foresee
anyone writing journal articles about us.  I wonder if someone like Norton
or McAfee would show some interest.  Have you considered trying to
interest the anti-malware world in edbrowse as a safe quarantine or
forensic environment for a page containing bad javascript?

--------
Kevin Carhart * 415 225 5306 * The Ten Ninety Nihilists