From: Kevin Carhart <kevin@carhart.net>
To: Karl Dahlke <eklhad@comcast.net>
Cc: Edbrowse-dev@lists.the-brannons.com
Subject: Re: [Edbrowse-dev] js command line access
Date: Fri, 25 Sep 2015 00:55:47 -0700 (PDT)	[thread overview]

> This is damn clever!

The idea is actually courtesy of Chris Brannon,
because we were once emailing briefly about this thing
called MozRepl.  I took it from there and found
bits of javascript on that idea.  So thank you Chris!

I know there are security issues, and you should
not allow arbitrary strings to get run as code.
I assumed this feature was too underground to mention,
or I may have mentioned it sooner.  Grin.

We could use my code for this, but the output
has not been edbrowzised or carved into lines.
I don't bring it back into an edbrowse buffer.
So the output could be a pain in the butt at
the moment, but I could give you what I have
and you could optimize it.
It also depends on what you echo.

Glad we might do this - it has certainly been
invaluable for me,
Kevin

On Fri, 25 Sep 2015, Karl Dahlke wrote:

> Kevin wrote me in a pm, and I hope he doesn't mind me relaying here...
>
> I created a crude JS console within edbrowse,
> for use especially on getting the DOM to work.
> I noticed that javaParseExecute will accept any string,
> so I hooked into twoLetter, used a letter that wasn't in
> use, and brought querying of objects into the edbrowse
> command line, like...
>
> * document.childNodes.length
> 23
> * var blah = document.getElementsByTagName("INPUT")
> ok
> * blah.length
> 25
> * blah[5].name
> price_range
>
> This is damn clever!
> I mean really.
> I'm thinking it should be part of the real program,
> not as anything we would advertise, not a feature for the public,
> but like the higher levels of db, just something for us.
> What do others think of this idea?
>
> It would have to be a 2 letter or multi letter command that casual users
> wouldn't stumble on by accident.  Maybe jsca for javascript comand access.
> Imagine stopping in the middle of a web page and poking around the dom.
> For debugging, set a variable like innerHTML and see if the side effects really happen.
> Or like yesterday I had a nasty email I wanted to unsubscribe from,
> cause its just marketing crap,
> and I pushed the button and js stopped because something
> was missing in the dom.
> Imagine I went to the js console and just put an object there, or whatever,
> so js would be happy and send on my unsubscribe request.
> That would be cool.
> This was one of those forms that can't be done without js by the way,
> so for now I'm still subscribed to their shit.
> anyways, do people think a backdoor to the dom would be useful for us,
> assuming the public wouldn't fall through it accidentally,
> and if yes then perhaps Kevin you could send me a patch,
> cause it sounds like you've already done most of the work.
>
> Karl Dahlke

--------
Kevin Carhart * 415 225 5306 * The Ten Ninety Nihilists