* [Edbrowse-dev] jdb redirect
@ 2017-09-17  9:21 Karl Dahlke
From: Karl Dahlke @ 2017-09-17  9:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Edbrowse-dev

Anticipating the work that Kevin is doing, it occurs to me that we want a way to dump long output into a file.
This will typically be  document.scripts[7].data
the deminimized version of javascript, which could easily be 100K.
Use tab to dump it into a file.

expression tab file

Then edit the file and go to the offending line number.

I didn't want to use > cause that's a valid js operator, but I still hit > almost by force of habit.
tab is truly unused, and it's a single character, but I realized, after I pushed,
that this can be trouble for those of you who use readline.
It might try to do tab completion or some such.
I could perhaps disable readline mode when running in jdb mode,
or maybe there is a better character than tab.
Any thoughts?

Karl Dahlke

* Re: [Edbrowse-dev] jdb redirect
@ 2017-09-17 11:22 ` Chris Brannon
From: Chris Brannon @ 2017-09-17 11:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Edbrowse-dev

Karl Dahlke <eklhad@comcast.net> writes:

> I didn't want to use > cause that's a valid js operator, but I still hit > almost by force of habit.
> tab is truly unused, and it's a single character, but I realized, after I pushed,
> that this can be trouble for those of you who use readline.

It's also not distinct in some speech adapters.  Why not
    > file EXPRESSION
That would only allow filenames without whitespace; no great loss.
It would be as easy to parse, if a little unintuitive.

-- Chris

* [Edbrowse-dev] jdb redirect
@ 2017-09-17 11:33   ` Karl Dahlke
From: Karl Dahlke @ 2017-09-17 11:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Edbrowse-dev

> file expression
reminds me of German where you throw the verb way out at the end of the sentence.
It just doesn't parse well in my brain.
I'd rather use ^ or ^> or some other visible symbol that is almost never used in js.

@ 2017-09-17 23:56     ` Kevin Carhart
From: Kevin Carhart @ 2017-09-17 23:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Edbrowse-dev

Thank you for this idea.  I would use this all the time.

There seems to be some kind of regression when I add esprima and escodegen
to third.js.  My crude test was to add the new libraries and then try
nasa.gov.  Nasa reverted to no body loaded, like before.  So I am still
working on this.  I wonder if there's some problem with the order in
which things are digested.  I may get it this evening.

On Sun, 17 Sep 2017, Karl Dahlke wrote:

>> file expression
> reminds me of German where you throw the verb way out at the end of the sentence.
> It just doesn't parse well in my brain.
> I'd rather use ^ or ^> or some other visible symbol that is almost never used in js.
>
> Karl Dahlke

--------
Kevin Carhart * 415 225 5306 * The Ten Ninety Nihilists

* Re: [Edbrowse-dev] jdb redirect
@ 2017-09-18  9:52   ` Kevin Carhart
From: Kevin Carhart @ 2017-09-18  9:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Edbrowse-dev

It works!  The following could be a sample usage of the new libraries and
the redirect to file, put together:

escodegen.generate(esprima.parse(document.scripts[3].data))     outfile
2097837 bytes

Very cool.  It's saved to the filesystem and it has the linefeeds, in
very few steps!

>    > file EXPRESSION

In case we wanna switch from tab, no problem as far as I'm concerned.