* [edbrowse-dev] wikipedia, if anybody cares, if it really matters
@ 2018-07-13 13:58 Karl Dahlke
From: Karl Dahlke @ 2018-07-13 13:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: edbrowse-dev

Recall a couple years ago we put an edbrowse article up on wikipedia.
It was instantly tagged for speedy deletion, and I told them that it was in manyh distributions, with links thereto, thus relevant and in common use, and they removed the offensive tag, and the article has stood ever since.
Today I got a second tag for speedy deletion.
I spent about 10 minutes trying to figure out why, since nothing has changed; or how to reply or comment, and got nowhere,
perhaps because wikipedia for editing, not just reading articles, is not that edbrowse friendly.
So I simply gave up.
My life is horrid right now, too horid to work on edbrowse technically, or administratively.
To horrid to do much of anything except play solitaire all day.
edbrowse will die when I die, as will everything else I've ever done in my life,
in fact all our accomplishments and hopes and dreams will evaporate when the sun goes nova, so it doesn't matter anyways.
I just thought I'd let you all know, in case you want to look into it or vote or comment etc.
Go to en.wikipedia.org/wiki/edbrowse and notice the deletion tag.

Karl Dahlke

* [Edbrowse-dev] wikipedia
@ 2014-02-14 10:27 Karl Dahlke
From: Karl Dahlke @ 2014-02-14 10:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: commandline, Edbrowse-dev

I was flirting with the idea of writing a wikipedia article on edbrowse,
since I believe it has become "notable".
I have three sources to confirm credibility: it's packaging in debian, ubuntu,
and free bsd.
So I wrote the article, which is really the easy part.
Then moving on to submit the article, a process which ironically
could likely be done entirely with edbrowse, except for the captchas.
Here is my brief excursion into wiki.

1. Creating an account is highly recommended, but requires getting
past a captcha. No audio version.

2. It is possible to submit an article without an account, but at the last step,
to submit, you must get past another captcha.  Christ!
This hurdel will exist I'm sure whether you have an account or not.

3. The article must be written in a specialized markup language,
not html and not nroff or troff, or anything I know.
Something else to learn.

4. They won't submit an article for you, or help you format one;
I asked.
They will however create an account for you,
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Request_an_account
Then click on {Request an account}
I needed the vs option here, their certificate is not known to my root.
Account setup is pretty straightforward after that,
but what about the markup language?
the tutorial on it is horribly visual.
I can't make heads or tails of it.
The best bet is perhaps to find a short article on anything,
and edit it, like you're going to fix a problem with it,
and maybe then you can read the raw markup that generates the article,
and reverse engineer the language.
I suppose I wouldn't mind doing that if I were to submit or modify
dozens of wiki articles in the future,
but boy that seems like a lot of work for submitting one article.
And even if I did all that I still have to get past the last captcha.
So I'm not sure at this point if I'm going to bother.

Karl Dahlke